Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finding evidence for the Vigiles?
Greetings,

I am new to this particular board so I pray I placed this query in the correct. My interests in the Roman military has been solid since childhood. In the modern world I am a traditional blacksmith a soldier and a firefighter, all trades with strong ties to our Roman heritage. I thank you for your time and aid on this subject.

My query is thus, does anyone know of any good documentation for the equipment of the Vigiles? So far I only know of two solid sources. It seems the more I look the less I find.

-First is the remains of a bronze pump cart and it's mounted nozzle similar to a modern siamesed monitor (ie a fire engine deck gun). http://www.ostia-antica.org/dict/topics ... aserma.htm
-Second is the find of the Excubitorium in Rome, Identified as a watch house of the seventh cohort by graffiti that has since faded away due to poorly maintaining the site. On the site above there is also a floor plan of a large scale barracks that may have evidence of cart storage.

After that it gets fogy. Much of the equipment discussed is practical and used by the modern fire service of this last century. Any solid data, or original references would be of great interest.

-Buckets. I have found a description of small rope buckets sealed with pitch by Vigiles and a reference to these troopers as being nicknamed "Spartoli".
-Helmets. Without question they wore them for protection. The problem is what kind? The Italic and Gallic type helms are very practical and bear resemblance to those used by the modern fire service (ie. lobster tailed and later with crown ridges). However anyone who's been near a forge can attest that metal jewelry absorbs radiant heat very easily, so what about a helmet? That being said the German fire service used metal WWII style helmets until just recently. Would it be anachronistic to assume a miles with some coin could use a state of the art legionary type if not issued such?
-Uniforms. I am told the BBC has ruled that the Vigiles wore yellow tunics. A display at the Italian Fire museum depicts two Vigiles in cream white tunics in the Excubitorium. Last I checked we were still arguing over colors for the legions and marine service.
-Armor. Likely not practical for firefighting (unless leather), although desirable for policing and military service.
-Hooks, reference as being used just as "pike poles" are today. The question then is of design and construction. I would assume they were similar to boat hooks with a blunt cap and a short hook, or the pike style with a spear-point and hook.
-Axes, some English sources suggest they carried the lictor's axe as a badge of office. Else were it is inferred they simply used common axes during suppression operations.
-Ballistas, it is often cited the Vigiles used these engines to remove buildings to make fire breaks (control by fuel). This makes sense but I do not know of the original source. Should we then assume they used light-medium catapulta similar to the legions or a purpose built machine?
-Hoses. By the 1800's the fire service was commonly using leather hose with metal couplings. I have heard it suggested the Vigiles did as well but have yet to see evidence or an original source state such.
-Weapons, in use as combatants did they posses actual military arms or simply improvised suppression equipment in times of trouble?
-Shields, standards, et cetera. Again military items, were these items issued?
-Ranks/positions. I have found the following used: miles (common rank), siphonarius (pumping apparatus driver operator), aquarius (water supply tech), centurion (referenced as a retirement gig for Praetorians), 7 tribunes for the Cohorts. Praefectus Vigilum (Equite leader of the Vigiles), aided by a subprefect.

It is my understanding the force was raised by Augustus from slaves, then opened to citizen enlistments, and finally absorbed by the Praetorians. Further data on these events would also be of use to me.

Thank you for reading along this far. Thanks in advance for any additional information you can provide. Perhaps soon I will have the data necessary to add an engine to the ranks of our military reenactors.

-Kyle
Hi Kyle,

If you can read French than this might be of particular interest to you: R. Sablayrolles, Libertinus miles, les cohortes de vigiles, Rome, Ecole française de Rome, 1996, 875 p. The following is in English but perhaps outdated by now: P.K. Baillie Reynolds, The Vigiles of Imperial Rome. Chicago, Illinois: Ares. ISBN 0-890-05552-1 (reprint 1996). Originally published in 1926 by Oxford University Press, London.

Quote:It is my understanding the force was raised by Augustus from slaves, then opened to citizen enlistments, and finally absorbed by the Praetorians. Further data on these events would also be of use to me.

It is to my understanding that the 7 cohortes vigilum were raised by Augustus in 6 AD (before he used 600 slaves from 22 BC onwards). The vigiles were freedmen (libertini, so former slaves), who only had the Latin rights (i.e. non full citizenship). In 24 AD the lex Visellia accorded them full rights after 6 years of service (later on lowered to 3 years of service). The officers (centuriones, tribuni) were for the most former praetorian (sub)officers who held these posts as a part of their carreer structure (going from vigiles to the cohortes urbanae to the praetoriani as officers).

Greets,

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Whenever I see the word, vigiles, I can't keep from thinking "wigglies". Bifurcated brain, I guess. :roll: :lol: Can you picture a cohort of wigglies combating a house fire?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Hi Kyle,

If you can read French than this might be of particular interest to you: R. Sablayrolles, Libertinus miles, les cohortes de vigiles, Rome, Ecole française de Rome, 1996, 875 p. The following is in English but perhaps outdated by now: P.K. Baillie Reynolds, The Vigiles of Imperial Rome. Chicago, Illinois: Ares. ISBN 0-890-05552-1 (reprint 1996). Originally published in 1926 by Oxford University Press, London.

Hans,

It would seem that me and babblefish will have some work to do. I appreciate the assistance, but I must admit I am surprised there isn't a mosaic somewhere draw on.

Again thanks,

-Kyle
Babelfish is good, but don't neglect Google Translate. Between the two, you might be able to eventually figure out a book in any one of many languages, including Latin.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:-Ballistas, it is often cited the Vigiles used these engines to remove buildings to make fire breaks (control by fuel). This makes sense but I do not know of the original source. Should we then assume they used light-medium catapulta similar to the legions or a purpose built machine?
I am a little sceptical of this. The only evidence is the nominal rolls of cohors V vigilum from AD 205 and 210 (CIL 6, 1057-8 = ILS 2157), in which the abbreviation OP BA is found.

In the centuria of Caesernus Senecio, Titus Aelius Hesper was assigned A BAL(neis), "to the baths". There is no such officer in the centuria of Aelius Torquatus; but in the centuria of Ulpius Rutilianus, Lucius Julius Marinus was O(ptio) B(alnei), "optio (?in charge) of the baths". Similarly, in the centuria of Tauriscus, Tiberius Claudius Speratianus was OP(tio) B(alnei), while in Aulupor's centuria, Lucius Oresius Prosdectus was assigned A B(alneis), "to the baths", and in the centuria of Gaius Julius Rufus, Gaius Caecilius Martialis was assigned A BA(lneis), "to the baths". In the centuria of Aurelius Justus, Marcus Lartidius Julianus was OPT(io) B(alnei), "optio (?in charge) of the baths". In Antullus' centuria, Tiberius Julius Viator was assigned A BAL(neis), "to the baths". There is no such officer in Rufinus' centuria, but in Valens' centuria, Lucius Pompeius Felix was assigned A BAL(neis), "to the baths". In Verinus' centuria, Publius Julius Faustinus was OP(tio) BA(lnei), "optio (?in charge) of the baths". In the remaining centuriae of Romulus, Severus and Sohaemus, there is no such officer.

Domaszewski suggested that the O.B., the OP.B., the OPT.B. and the OP.BA. were actually optiones ballistarum. Marsden followed him in this. I'm not so sure.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I once heard someone say that the Romans didn't use acronyms. Maybe so, but they used a ton of basically inscrutable abbreviations. It's understandable to want to be brief when carving so much in stone, but it sure doesn't help us later-worlders figure things out, does it?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Salve Kyle,

Your request remembered me to a topic I posted 6 years ago. At that time German archaeologists had found the skeletons of a 30 - 40 years old man, a youth and an old woman in her late sixties in Titz / Germany. Also they found a roman fire syringe - the whole found, dated to about 355 AD was interpreted as a Romen fire brigade man with his juvenile helper that had been killed in action when trying to fight a fire during a Frankish attack.

The old topic:

link from old RAT

I didn't find pictures of the syringe but of a reconstruction:

[url:omj0z086]http://www.archaeologie-stiftung.de/Archaelogie_erleben/Experimentelle_Archaeologie/[/url]

About equipment - I remember that the famous Henry Russell Robinson postulated that the so called 'Imperial Italic A' - type of helmet would have been worn by the vigiles. This type of helmet can be found here (painting may-be by Peter Connolly):

[url:omj0z086]http://www.ffw-stockstadt.de/chronik/index.php[/url]

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Quote:About equipment - I remember that the famous Henry Russell Robinson postulated that the so called 'Imperial Italic A' - type of helmet would have been worn by the vigiles. This type of helmet can be found here (painting may-be by Peter Connolly):
[url:17w1vfpc]http://www.ffw-stockstadt.de/chronik/index.php[/url]
With those boots? I think not!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Salve Kyle,
Your request remembered me to a topic I posted 6 years ago. At that time German archaeologists had found the skeletons of a 30 - 40 years old man, a youth and an old woman in her late sixties in Titz / Germany. Also they found a roman fire syringe - the whole found, dated to about 355 AD was interpreted as a Romen fire brigade man with his juvenile helper that had been killed in action when trying to fight a fire during a Frankish attack.

Uwe, thank you so much for pointing out these resources. I was able to find passable translations of the websites but I'm afraid I'd need to find a transcript for the videos although I have a good idea what the narrator is discussing.

I must admit I am surprised by the use of an iron nozzle instead of bronze fittings.

Thanks,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did other cities have Vigiles and/or Urban Cohorts? JeffF 3 1,747 09-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Iosephus
  City Cohorts and Vigiles Anonymous 6 4,413 05-27-2004, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Anonymous