Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ballista
Quote:Maybe you will know if it is really good or if it is a rubbish.
This is Aitor Iriarte's "The Inswinging Theory", from Gladius 23 (2003), pp. 111-140. (It might be easier to download from the official Gladius web site.)

This is an excellent article, but it deals with the ballista, a different type of machine entirely. I think you are interested in the catapulta (or scorpio), for which you need the work of Alan Wilkins (following on from the pioneering work of Erwin Schramm and Eric Marsden).
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Damnit. But it works on the same principle does it? So maybe i will find somthing useful.
Marek Sulak
Quote:Damnit. But it works on the same principle does it? So maybe i will find somthing useful.
Well, they still use torsion springs, but the way they function is very different. Aitor's article doesn't talk about scorpions/catapultae, but it is still very interesting. Many of us agree with his suggestion that no matter if they threw stones or arrows, ballista arms swung inwards. There as many or more who disagree. I doubt either side will ever entirely convince the other. :wink:
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Thanks for all boys. I really appreciate this advices.

But i have still 2 unanswered questions:
1. How to make a cord for catapulta? - this i have half answered, i think how i will make it.
2. How to make arrow (what kind of wood, when colloct it, what arrowhead, what type of feather, and how to make from those things a good arrow)?

Thanks.
Marek Sulak