Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odelstein publication
Quite some time ago Guy Stiebel referred to Odelstein 1976 BRGK nos. 756-765, taf 60. Does anyone have access to this publication, and if so, what is he talking about? I've a vague feeling it will prove useful in my current research on shield decor, but can't get hold of it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
Tim Edwards. <p></p><i></i>
Hi Tim,<br>
BRGK = Bericht der Römisch-Germanischen Kommission. This journal is in our library, I'll try and have a look this week.<br>
<p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
that would be great Jasper, have failed to track this down in any of the libraries i frequent in England.<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
<br>
The author's name is Jürgen OLDENSTEIN and his very useful essay is called "Zur Ausrüstung römischer Auxiliareinheiten. Studien zu Beschlägen und Zierat an der Ausrüstung der römischen Auxiliareinheiten des obergermanisch-raetischen Limesgebietes aus dem zweiten und dritten Jahrhundert n.Chr.". In: Bericht der Römisch-Germanischen Kommission 57 (1976), pp. 49-284 plus plates 9-90. If Jasper hasn't posted anything by tomorrow, I'll step in. The journal is one of the most important for provincial roman archaeology here in Germany.<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=magisternavis>Magister Navis</A> at: 4/14/03 2:21:42 pm<br></i>
Oh my God, the pressure, the pressure.... <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
<p></p><i></i>
Hi Tim!<br>
<br>
Our colleague Guy Stiebel is referring to nine (no. 757 is a "void" number) so called copper alloy "Waffenschildchen" resp. "Besitzermarken" (owner's tags), here in the form of <em>tabulae ansatae</em>. I think Guy is suggesting that these <em>might</em> originally have been fixed on shields but Oldenstein gives some other ideas, too. Nearly all of the presented pieces have an inscription ("belonging to the <em>centuria</em> of..."), the letters being composed of dots. The tags are about 8-10 cms. long and around 5 cms. wide, are made of sheet metal and have holes where they were fixed with wire, nails etc. to whatever they were fixed to.<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin <p></p><i></i>
excellent that's a great help.<br>
<br>
I'm looking at similar examples from England, does Oldenstein record whether any rivets/nails survived? if so how long were they? were they complete? was there any indication if they were clenched over? where and in what context were they found? indeed what date might be given? what are oldenstein's alternate suggestions?<br>
<br>
Again thanks a bunch, any help will be greatly appreciated.<br>
<br>
Tim Edwards.<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=enniuspaulinus>Ennius Paulinus</A> at: 4/14/03 9:45:49 pm<br></i>
Got it from the library. I'll have a look tonight. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
In no case rivets or nails survive; in one or two cases there was a rest of wire in one of the holes. All found IIRC in or around fortresses on the <em>limes</em> of Germania superior resp. Raetia; dating: second and third century AD. Alternate suggestions: for ex. owner's tags for other "military" things apart from shields.<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=magisternavis>Magister Navis</A> at: 4/15/03 4:20:29 pm<br></i>
Thanks Martin,<br>
<br>
What of the inscriptions?, i assume these are the standard individual+sub unit formula. is there any references to any specific units, per chance, ie turma / century/cohort etc.?<br>
<br>
Hey Tim,<br>
It's a bit much to scan the entire book, but I don't mind doing a few pages. Which ones do you want? <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
well, the pages and plates relating specifically to the ansate tags, if poss.<br>
<br>
thanks. <p></p><i></i>
= poss. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys