Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help picking a name
Hi All ,
As you may know Iam reforming my old Gladiator school , infact its being totally revamped including the name . Trouble is Iam finding it a bit of a chore picking a name , I have added a small list supplied by other people to see which one ( if any ) you like . I have been given the rough translation also to go with the names , I have no idea if they are correct . I will go with the majority ( probably ) , if you have a different one please put it up .

Possible names :

Ludus invictus - of the undefeated
Ludus fortis - of the brave
Ludus animus - of courage/soul/bravery
Ludus fortuna - of luck/ chance
Ludus cognatus - of blood
Ludus victoria - of victory
Ludus Hadrianus - of Hadrian

Thanks,

Julius. Big Grin
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
Quote:Ludus cognatus - of blood

Do you realise cognatus means "blood" in the sense of family relations and kindred? Not sure how that would pertain to a gladiator school.

Why not just pick the name yourself? Be courageous and bold...like a gladiator! Big Grin
Hello, my name is Harry.
Yes , I was aware of the meaning but only because I was told thats what it was Big Grin . Ok I will pick it myself.

Thanks anyway,

Julius .
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
As has probably been said before, place names, the name of the owner of the school, and/or animal names could all be used. Lion, Wasp, Bear, Tiger, Leopard, Bull, Ram, Hawk, etc. Anything that's fierce would carry some strong feeling.

In the end, though, it's YOU who has to be happy with the name. After all, who cares what the slave/gladiators think? They don't have much choice, eh? :wink: :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hi David,
I know we have talkerd about these names before but I just want to get it right , you know what I mean ? I wonder what the latin is for " Bear "

Thanks,

Paul .
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
Ursus means bear.
But just a question:
you mentioned some possible names and the translation "of the..." so does that mean, you want a term that says game of anyone? for example bear ?
Then it would be ludus ursi
by the way: ursus was the name of slave in quo vadis...

Ludus invicti - of the undefeated
Ludus animus - of courage/soul/bravery: do you mean anima=soul - ludus animae
Ludus fortunae - of luck/ chance
Ludus victoriae - of victory
Ludus Hadriani - of Hadrian

regards
noxia

little edit because of grammar
regards
noxia /Suzi
Noxia ,
Thanks for that info . The list was given to me so sorry for the Gramma . I kind of like " Ludus Invicti " but I dont know if thats acceptable or even sounds right .

Julius.
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
just another note:
according to Junkelmann the schools were known as familia gladiatoria (sing) or familiae gladiatoriae (plur) and these familiae were named after their owner.
Whereas the games, which were organised by the caesars were the ludi (seems always to occur in plural) or the munera (plur. - munus sing.) if privatly organised

derived from the ludi also the term ludus gladiatorius for the school (edit)
Interesting is, that criminels were condemned ad ludos

have a look at: Köhne/Ewigleben (Hrsg.) Caesaren und Gladiatoren
and Thomas Wiedemann, Kaiser und Gladiatoren
http://books.google.de/books?id=tLaixBh ... &q&f=false
regards
noxia /Suzi