Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It\'s a long way to... Rome
I wanted to find out on Google how long a trip on foot would be from The netherlands to Rome.
I was not quite prepared for their shortest solution though Confusedhock: :
[Image: voetreisnaarRome.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Wha, great!

Another fun thing with google maps. Go from China to Taiwan and wonder about step 55.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I suppose they took the path around France and through Spain to avoid the Alps. If you or anybody can walk that far in ten days, then you're a Roman Soldier Extraordinary, for sure! I'd have to guess it might take that long to make the trek from Bilbao to Barcelona, but then, I've never made such a trip.

For us moderns who don't walk all that much, I suspect ten or fifteen miles (16 to 24km) per day would be pushing it pretty hard, and by day 10, most of us would be worn out and footsore. Wonder how my off-the-shelf caligae would hold up under that stress. :?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:For us moderns who don't walk all that much, I suspect ten or fifteen miles (16 to 24km) per day would be pushing it pretty hard, and by day 10, most of us would be worn out and footsore. Wonder how my off-the-shelf caligae would hold up under that stress. :?

I've done several marches (with and without full pack) up to 26 km a day and that is good to do, even on caligae. (I personnaly didn't use off-the-shelf ones, but others did). And I think those 10 days are meant when you walk 24 hours a day, as that is how these times are calculated, in general. But still it would be a long trip, for sure.
ALA I BATAVORUM
You mean you CAN'T walk on water??? :lol:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:You mean you CAN'T walk on water??? :lol:
I seem to have recently lost that ability, yes. Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Better stay in the boat, then. Smile
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.