Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rehder\'s "Mastery and Uses of Fire in Antiquity"
This looks like an interesting book on ancient forges and furnaces, in concert with Sim's books on forges. Has anyone seen this? I ran into it on Oxbow/Brown, under 'greek and roman crafts'<br>
<br>
The Mastery and Uses of Fire in Antiquity<br>
by J E Rehder<br>
<br>
This unusual study, written by an engineer with expertise in industrial research and pyrotechnology, combines archaeological investigation with technical instruction to examine the scientific and chemical processes which resulted in the ancient furnace. The scope of the book is comprehensive and includes the successes and failures of over 10,000 years of history. Subjects include the use of fuels according to the products made, temperature control, deforestation and the smelting and use of copper and iron. This useful reference work contains varying amounts of technical language, with most jargon confined to the more detailed appendices, in order to make the subject matter more available to a wider readership. 216p, tbs (McGill-Queen's University 2000)<br>
ISBN 0773520678. Hardback. Price US $34.95 <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Sounds interesting. I'm just in the middle of "King Croesus' Gold - Excavations at Sardis and the History of Gold Refining" which covers some of the same ground. Pretty interesting so far, with combination of science and history. V. expensive at £45, though it seems comprehensive and includes endless plates of magnified gold and silver structure as well as the ancient techniques.<br>
<br>
Conn <p></p><i></i>
I'm not familiar with Sim's book? Can you provide the complete reference?<br>
<br>
Dean <p>Just a filthy guy swingin' a hammer</p><i></i>
Dean Cunningham,

Metalsmith, Father, dilettante

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,906 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus