Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Norman Battle Tactics?
Well, recently I have been researching the Normans for part of a history assignment that I am doing at college. I have given C.Gravett & D.Nicolle's 'The Normans: Warrior Knights and their Castles' a read and have found it very, very interesting. Reading about the Norman's military system has provoked a few questions:

How exactly would the Normans fight a battle? As far as I know, at this time, warfare relied more upon brute strength rather than stratagem e.g. armies formed up in a shield-wall would batter each other relentlessly until a gap was carved into the enemy formation then would go in amongst them and wreak havoc. Did the Normans have any different strategies other than just to batter or slaughter their enemy into submission.

How sophisticated were the Normans' battle tactics compared to their enemies? (The focus of my assignment will be their fighting against Anglo-Saxon forces).

How well would the men in a conroi know each other, was there a strong sense of comradeship?

Was there a sense of keeping formation in battle or did they just charge straight into the enemy?
Lorenzo Perring-Mattiassi/Florivs Virilis

COHORS I BATAVORUM M.C.R.P.F
Quote:Well, recently I have been researching the Normans for part of a history assignment that I am doing at college. I have given C.Gravett & D.Nicolle's 'The Normans: Warrior Knights and their Castles' a read and have found it very, very interesting. Reading about the Norman's military system has provoked a few questions:

How exactly would the Normans fight a battle? As far as I know, at this time, warfare relied more upon brute strength rather than stratagem e.g. armies formed up in a shield-wall would batter each other relentlessly until a gap was carved into the enemy formation then would go in amongst them and wreak havoc. Did the Normans have any different strategies other than just to batter or slaughter their enemy into submission.

Yes, in fact just about every (good) army at that time (and as with any time) had numerous tactics and stratagems. While infantry did favor the shieldwall that's been true for any kind of melee infantry up till the end of the 17th century or so.

At Hastings Duke William used crossbowmen, archers, spearmen and heavy horse in a very disiplined combined arms model. His missile troops softened up the enemy his infantry advanced and his cavalry went in to rescue their infantry and pummel the saxon infantry and conducting numerous feinged retreats and disiplined charges to soften the saxons and destroy the foolish sorties they made. This shows a high level of communication, disipline and training. It also shows that Duke William picked good officers.

Quote: How well would the men in a conroi know each other, was there a strong sense of comradeship?

Was there a sense of keeping formation in battle or did they just charge straight into the enemy?

1. Well it doesn't take that long to get to know someone if you try. And when soldiers train and fight together most of them will love each other like brothers and even the ones that hate each other would gladly die for the person in the unit that they hate.

2. Yes they kept their formations, again, Hastings demonstrates this.

I would reccommend asking this question on myarmoury.com. There's tons of Norman/1066 freaks on there who will glad to answer your questions and recommend books, speaking of which Philip Sidnell's Book Warhorse Cavalry in the Ancient World is a very good and highly researched read and has an excellent section on Hastings.

Hope this helps!
Ben.
Quote:I would reccommend asking this question on myarmoury.com. There's tons of Norman/1066 freaks on there who will glad to answer your questions and recommend books

Okay, I'll take a look. Thanks for the help, Perrinius. I did have a look on Historum but I don't think there were many people there interested in the Norman military.
Lorenzo Perring-Mattiassi/Florivs Virilis

COHORS I BATAVORUM M.C.R.P.F