Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vegetius\' description of a Roman Legion
Quote:Hi Robert,
I also disagree that we cannot answer these questions at all unless the author tells us. For example: if the author lived a long time after the events in question, clearly he was not an eyewitness and did not talk to eyewitnesses. Also, just because an author tells us his methods doesn't mean we should be sure those are the methods he actually used (although we can take it as probably true unless the evidence suggests otherwise). We still have to test it against the works themselves, what else we know about the author and his contemporaries, and so on.

I'm surprised to see you say that "it is not valid to ask these questions", because every skilled ancient historian I know of does. Haven't you written articles on our written sources for Sub-Roman Britain and what each was probably trying to do, or on whether Geoffrey of Monmouth really used lost old books? Greeks and Romans and Jews who wrote histories usually aimed at different things than modern academic historians do, but modern academic historians of any period are still trying to form a best guess at what really happened to something in the past. I think ancient Greco-Roman history differs from other kinds of history in accidents not essence: I think there is a continuum, from "very well documented" (Canada in 1940) to "very poorly documented" (Babylonia in 1000 BCE) which shapes the types of questions we can ask and the methods we use on them. For example, ancient historians have to use weaker (coins) and less reliable (tertiary sources like Diodorus) forms of evidence than historians of better documented periods. Maybe we need a new thread on historical methods?
True, true.

I think I used the wrong words to express what was in my mind. or, I misinterpreted your original post.
Anyway, as you put it like that it's indeed valid.
I think I was thinking of these questions as a model to determine the credence of each source, and that I had objections about that.
Of course the questions can be asked, but not many sources provide any answers.
Of course one can write about the intentions, sources etc. of an author, provided the words 'probably' or 'possibly' are used when he does not tell us so.

But I maintain that it's not valid to compare the historical method of modern and ancient historians. I mean, one can compare them, but as their intentions were different, the method was of course different as well.
A new thread? Good idea.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:It seems that the latest scholarly opinion is that the legion as Vegetius describes it never existed;

Out of interest who/what would this latest scholarly opinion be? I'm out of touch with Vegetian study :?
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

mailto:[email protected]

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/">http://www.endoftime.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
I know I've often misunderstood people's meaning online. It does remind us of the difficulties of working with texts written thousands of years ago in a fancy form of a dead language. And I agree its not fair to criticize ancient historians' morals for working more like modern popular writers than modern academic historians.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:
JeffF:9m1hr1c5 Wrote:It seems that the latest scholarly opinion is that the legion as Vegetius describes it never existed;

Out of interest who/what would this latest scholarly opinion be? I'm out of touch with Vegetian study :?

Have you tried the Facebook page devoted to Vegetius? :lol:
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
While they didn't mass produce books for royalties like writers do today, I think they still had to please their financiers, or they'd fall from favor and we'd never hear of them. To put the [king, emperor, prince, priests, etc] in a bad light would not be career enhancing.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vegetius and other Late Roman Sources Spurius Papirius Cursor 22 8,401 12-08-2010, 05:51 AM
Last Post: Spurius Papirius Cursor
  History of Rome Pt 14a&b, (description of the Roman Legi Helvetica 0 1,028 10-27-2008, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Helvetica
  Vegetius legion description (from the spatha topic) Mitra 3 1,969 09-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Last Post: Natuspardo