Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News: HBO\'s Rome IS to be made as a film
Or so the rumour goes...if it's true, 2011 will be a good year, what with Eagle (of the Ninth) coming out too... Big Grin

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=97645771496

and no, I'm not on Facebook - this is just the best link I found.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
I'm not entirely sure that this is a project worth looking forward to (other than perhaps that's a film about Rome which is good for general interest). :|
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I would be more "excited" about this project if it were a prequel that brought Julius Caesar back. When he left at the end of Season 1 a lot of the air went out of this series.

The producer's original intent, or so they now say, was to take the series up through the death of Jesus at the end of the 3rd season. Of course that proposed 3rd Season would have run into the same territory covered by I, Claudius, and although HBO decided not to renew the series because of the production costs (necessitating a shortening of the story line to fit into the second season) I'm not certain the producers wanted to endure any direct comparisons to I, Claudius.

That said, I do think their portrayal of Julius Caesar was right on the money -- the actor exuded that charm and charisma the the real Caesar must have had, in abundance, in order to motivate his soldiers to the feats they accomplished. In my opinion the Producers missed the boat by not spending more time on the Fall of the Republic. They might have done better by starting the series earlier, perhaps at the defeat of Spartacus, or there about. However...

In dealing with the facts as they are, I think Robert is quite right on this -- the New Rome will not be great, but any film about Rome is better than no film about Rome (The Last Legion not withstanding).

I do hope the Rome production team takes a look at the work being done on the French TV series, The Destiny Of Rome, covering much the same time period. Their battles look much better, thanks to a judicious use of CGI. While their CGI is not as good as that done by ILM, it is still very acceptable.

:?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:That said, I do think their portrayal of Julius Caesar was right on the money -- the actor exuded that charm and charisma the the real Caesar must have had, in abundance, in order to motivate his soldiers to the feats they accomplished. In my opinion the Producers missed the boat by not spending more time on the Fall of the Republic. They might have done better by starting the series earlier, perhaps at the defeat of Spartacus, or there about. However...

I thought the acting was convincing, especially by the guys who played Caesar, Pompey and Cato.

Robert, you didn't like it?
Quote:Robert, you didn't like it?
It could have been so much better, considering the producers. But they ended up with something that was only a relatively good historical setting, but with way too much attention towards sex and violence. The leaps in the timeline were so large that I had to reread my history books to understand what Caesar had been up to in the missing years... Cry

It's perhaps a road laid out by Gladiator, repeated by Rome (of which the 2nd series was unnecessary) continued by 300, but the awful Spartacus series definately went off the track. The history is now totally unimportant, the sex and extreme violence is. As a series, I rank Spartacus closer to Conan the barbarian than to anything remotely historical.

I liked Rome well enough, absolutely. But I see it mainly as a missed opportunity, with a bonus that it generated so much interest in Roman history.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Shame to condemn it when it isn't even in the can!

I think Ciaran Hind's portrayal of Ceasar was excellent. McKidd and Stevenson were the most convincing soldiers I have seen in a very long time (please note SOLDIERS not necessarily Roman soldiers as that is going to get me into deep murky waters) and James Purefoy's Mark Antony was a masterpiece of acting I am happy to watch again and again.

Edited to add...it's supposed to be ENTERTAINMENT and I think we had lots of that out of the two TV series.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:it generated so much interest in Roman history

Not a few people don't have access to HBO. So a film, if it's done even as well as the series will reach a broader market of viewers. Our hobby can only be helped by the new venue, says I. Even if it's not so well-done, it will be better than many. And there are two other films coming out soon, so we stand only to gain
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well, I am looking forwardto this, as Centurion was a big letdown.
I also think they should have started the Rome series earlier in Caesars career....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Agreed. Those who haven't read the history had no idea why the Senate was so angry at him.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Film: Rome Vs. China ... Narukami 20 7,717 07-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Magnus
  YUCK: Latest News on the "Hannibal" Film Anonymous 21 3,791 04-23-2005, 07:00 AM
Last Post: Octavianvs
  War/Battle you would like to be made into a HISTORICAL FILM Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus 12 1,981 07-03-2004, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Anonymous