Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It\'s all Greek to me (Makedonians included) ...
I like the fact that members politely defined the limits and they are perfectly acceptable to me.
The genetic relation of ancient to modern is off topic and I will leave it out.

Yet the issue in question is the fault of a very Greek bad habit that continues from the dawn of Greek history.
We have a national characteristic of being "localist" and territorial to an extreme that most peoples/nations on this earth are not.
In most countries you will find a North/South or East/West prejudice based on locality but Greeks carry this to the extreme.

We barely trust (feel as our own) those in our neighborhood/village and we suspect all others.
When politics(ancient in our case) are thrown in the mix we are ready to accuse the "other Greeks" as traitors or that they are non-Greeks!!!!
Most of ancient Greek Literature is what we learn through the prejudices/passions of the Athenian aristokrats who were quick to brand any Greek not "urbanised enough" as a barbarian!

We cannot imagine the spite and self consuming passion of the not vary good looking, rejected Demosthenes (who was among the first to cut and run at Cheronea!) His once glorious locality was now just a city, not the "might of Greece" and some northern chief-peasant forced him to run in battle! He had to justify to himself that this "monster" was a barbarian or he would die from a stroke :twisted: .

If you go further back you will Thukidides branding the very Greek Aetolians as barbarians because some half naked stone throwers whacked the "mighty" Athenian hoplites of Demosthenes (not related to the previous one).

We should not demand that a non Greek non scholary individual understands the very depth of all this

Kind regards

Messages In This Thread
Re: It\'s all Greek to me (Makedonians included) ... - by hoplite14gr - 11-18-2010, 02:23 PM