Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6th Fields Of Conflict Conference in Kalkriese
Avete Amici,

I heard about this during a recent visit to the Varusschlacht museum at Kalkriese (near Osnabrück) and thought you guys might be interested in it as well:

Quote:The 6th International Fields of Conflict Conference will be hosted by the University of Osnabrück and Museum and Park Kalkriese from Friday, 15th April to Monday, 18th April 2011.

Kalkriese, the site of the Varus Battle or Battle in the Teutoburg Forest 9 AD, is situated 20 km north of Osnabrück, one of the cities where the Westfalian Peace was declared after the 30 Years War (1648).

Source: http://www.fieldsofconflict2011.uni-osn ... /index.php
Quote:Kalkriese, the site of the Varus Battle or Battle in the Teutoburg Forest 9 AD
Haa-Haa...!!! ^^
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
In my opinion Kalkriese most definetely was PART of the battle or of the aftermath and maybe even before.

Of course it was not the site where all legions of Varus got massacred, however, it can be used as a point of origin, and there should be a giant research project starting, grid wise, over a stretch of 100 kilometers in all directions. Then, maybe then we will find remains of the rest of the spots where it was fought.

The theory that the finds cannot have been legionary because there were no Sigillata shards or other Roman personal belongings found is in my opinion not a valid one.

The conference sounds interesting, hope some RAT members can attend and post a report.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I really wish I could attend Cry
"...atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant."

????? ???? ?\' ?????...(J. Feicht)