Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best books about Varusschlacht
Hi,

Firsty, I'd like to say hallo to all the forum members. I really admire yours knowlege about the roman army.

For some time I'm interested in Roman trials to conquer ancient Germania during August times. I know there's quite a lot german literature about the topic. I'd like to know which one of them are worth bouing. I mainly mean german literature but also some titels of books in english would be welcome.

Is this katalog worth buying: http://www.imperium-konflikt-mythos.de/katalog/ ? I wonder if it has only fotos or also some text?

Thanks in advance for help.

All the best,

fanatyk6
Quote:Is this katalog worth buying: http://www.imperium-konflikt-mythos.de/katalog/ ? I wonder if it has only fotos or also some text?
Lots of text, and state of the art. Very good.

The articles also have a real vision on things, and the authors are often polemizing against the fact that it was the politicians, not the archaeologists, who wanted those expositions to take place. My favorite quote: ‘Es ist falsch die Varusschlacht als historischen Wendepunkt aufzufassen, wie dies geschichtswissenschaftlich Unkundige gerade in diesen Tagen wiederholt propagieren,’ (P. Kehne, ‘Der historische Arminius und die Varusschlacht aus cheruskischer Perspektive’ in: S. Berke e.a., 2000 Jahre Varusschlacht. Mythos [2009] 111; "It is wrong to accept the battle of Varus as a pivotal moment in history, as those who are not trained as historians are propagating especially in our days").
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Well, I must admit that I'm not all that familiar with the vast literature about this particular battle. But I found the dissertation of R. G. Jahn (citation below) really great and more than worth reading. It's not only about the battle, but a major part of the book deals with it.

Jahn, R.G., 2001. Der Römisch-Germanische Krieg (9-16 n. Chr.) (Dissertation), Bonn.

Greetings
Alexandr

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Post-Varusschlacht Roman penetrations into Germany? Phaichtos 6 2,024 08-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Simplex