Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman surgical instruments - My replicas
Excellent job once again.

Does all our knowledge about surgical instruments come from archaeological finds, or does Galen or any other author describe them?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Thanks for that. I should have said in my original post'excellent work'
Phil
pmel018
Philip melhop
I would buy these tools for our Legion.
Fantastic work. I wish I had such skills. I am more used to using medical equipment rather than making them. How much do these instruments cost for a basic set?Big Grin
andy drinkell AKA alsinstructor

I wandered lonely as a cloud....... Billy No-Mates
Thanks to all guys!

Epictetus, I do not know how knowledge information by old surgeon, but many modern books now describe very well these tools and their use.
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Quote:Does all our knowledge about surgical instruments come from archaeological finds, or does Galen or any other author describe them?

Most of the finds we have can be attributed to the ancient names quiet surely as there are a number of descriptions in medical texts of the time. Some remain enigmatic, however, at least as far as their exact purpose is concerned.
Hi guys,
These are my few last repliecas: capsules and boxes for medicines.

I have rebuilt replicas of these cylinders to the finds of a shipwreck in Tuscany, This is the link to show the originals Pozzino

[Image: IMG_0001800x600.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0006800x600-1.jpg]

And this is a new medical instrument that Romans used to cut the tongue Frenulum, modern surgeon has Confirmed me that this instrument is identical to modern!

[Image: IMG_0024800x600-2.jpg]

...and medical boxes...

[Image: IMG_0003800x600-3.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0006800x600-3.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0012800x600-1.jpg]
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Ave to all,
After several months of illness, I am back in action and I AND my wife have to say is "WOW"!!!!!!!We have got to have a set!!!!!!!!!!!!!! P>M> me if you get a chance through the board with your prices....PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
Thanks and Salve,
Vitruvius aka Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
Many thanks Larry!
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Marco...your surgical tooling is wonderful. How can I get to your website? Can I download these photos in some way? Can you teell me what each is used for? Please feel free to email me [email protected] I write historical fiction and a working knowledge of what those instruments are used for would be a great help toward the accuracy I would like to achieve.
Hi guys,
these are my latest works: some iron surgical hammer.
The original is in Aalen museum.
For handles I've used Hazelwood and Olivewood...hope you like it.

[Image: Chirurgischerhammer.jpg]

[Image: Aalenhammer1800x600.jpg]

[Image: Aalenhammer2800x600.jpg]

[Image: Aalenhammer3800x600.jpg]
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Excellent as always, Marco! Reminds me of tomahawks :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Dare I ask what a "surgical hammer" is used for? Confusedhock:
--------
Ross

[url="http://galeforcearmoury.blogspot.com"] Working on a segmentata.[/url]
Driving a bone-splitting chisel?
And the other end: Chopping bones?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hi Guys,
thanks, the hammer had two purposes: the flat head was used in combination with other tools like chisels like a normal hammer, I am attaching a photo of a my set with two tools that I marked with red dot, which were used with a hammer.
The blade I have never read his use in books but I think his only function was for small amputations...maybe a finger?

[attachment=1423]IMG_00611024x768.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

CIAO from Italy

Marco

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  surgical instruments CM Demetrivs Medicvs 20 3,689 01-09-2014, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser
  Surgical instruments for an amputation ala Celsius M. Caecilius 5 1,754 04-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Last Post: M. Caecilius