Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman technology - acids
Does anyone know if the Romans in the Republic would have been able to produce acids - able to etch metal?<br>
<br>
Conn Iggulden <p></p><i></i>
Lemon juice and vinegar were of course available but I have to say I have never seen any evidence of etching being used to decorate Roman military (or civil) metalwork in Britain.<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks - negative evidence is useful. Not being much of a chemist, I don't know whether producing something like hydrochloric acid is difficult or not. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate it.<br>
<br>
Conn <p></p><i></i>
Conn<br>
<br>
I assume you are looking to try and chase a pattern through using wax and acids ...<br>
<br>
Like Mike I haven't come across any of this myself but my main area of interest is gladiatorial so I could not be sure for military.<br>
<br>
Tool work is commonly found on gladiatorial equipment from simple chiselling to very complex raising etc .. but the simpler stuff is well within the realms of most of us, you just need a few metal tools, punches and chisels and away you go ... but again I am unsure what evidence there is for military gear and this technique ...<br>
<br>
You would probably get a better response placing this question on the reconstruction or archaeology sections of the forum ... if this thread picks up I will bump it across or I would suggest just reasking it there.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps<br>
<br>
Graham <p></p><i></i>
My metalwork teacher would laugh at the thought of me wax chasing anything. I can knock up a set of dovetails in a bit of hard wood, but I don't have the equipment to try serious metalwork. My query comes because I'm in the middle of a four book series on Julius Caesar and before 'The Death of Kings' goes to the copy editors, I'd really like to know if the paragraph where I mention a character wearing an acid-etched greave is going to come in for the sort of 'I can't believe he doesn't know the Romans didn't have acid' comment.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
<br>
Conn Iggulden <p></p><i></i>
Surfing the internet, I have found some of the following acids that can be used to etch metal:<br>
<br>
Sulphuric acid:<br>
This was only used to make fire, pyrotechnics, and incendiary weapons in Roman times.<br>
<br>
Hydrogen chloride:<br>
Was only discovered in the Dark Ages.<br>
<br>
Vitriol:<br>
Was used in antiquity for 'various metallurgical processes, being used in the purification of gold and in the fabrication of imitation precious metals.'<br>
However, I have found no further evidence/explanation of this.<br>
<br>
So, in my humble opinion, the best thing would be to drop the acid-etched greave, just to be on the safe side. Then again, it is my humble opinion.<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Thanks - I'm pretty sure Vitriol was sulphuric acid. One point strikes me - iron can only be marked with acid or a harder metal - steel, using a steel chisel, say. If there is any evidence that Republican Romans marked their breastplates, greaves, swords etc., that would either be evidence they used concentrated acid, or had steel. I suppose various hard stones could be used to 'rub' a pattern, but nothing complex. Therefore, if anyone has heard of an inscribed piece of Republican armour, I would like to know.<br>
<br>
Also, and I know this is a long shot... Does anyone know if charcoal from particular trees is used in sword-making? I suppose the carbon content would differ in the different woods. Would just any charcoal do, or is say, oak a better choice for the charcoal?<br>
<br>
Conn <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Books on Roman technology richsc 1 822 11-13-2013, 05:10 AM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  NG - Earth Investigated: Roman Technology Jeroen Pelgrom 5 2,029 08-25-2006, 04:59 PM
Last Post: Kate Gilliver