Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman influence in Britain
Quote:Brittonic Luguualiion "(Settlement of) Luguualios" became Late Brittonic Ca?ra (=Lat. Castra) Luguualiion, which then became Old Welsh Cair Ligualid.

As I said, "they are not using castra directly, but rather a borrowing into brythonic".

Had they continued to speak latin, there would have been no Late Brittonic to take the new word. At least, I presume you are not claiming that Late Brittonic is Latin. This is in contrast to Gaul where vulgar latin replaces Gaulish. The continuation of latin in Britain only continues in ecclesiastical and some occasional documents. The lingua franca of the british population remains celtic.

best
authun
Harry Amphlett
Quote:
MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS:4cm1bkwi Wrote:...The most christianised part of Britain during the roman period was Kent with many areas in the west still practicing roman paganism. During the 5th cent. the church appears to have moved to the west, though we don't know if this is just the heirarchy or the entire congregation. Cut off from Rome, it developed it's own version of Christianity.

When the anglo saxons kingdoms started to convert to christianity, they were influenced by the Frankish church, in turn influenced by the church in Rome. The result was two Christian doctrines and the Synod of Whitby.

best
authun
It would be appropriate to mention that there was a center of Christianity in Ireland at this time, which had considerable importance in the British Isles, and in some ways, the whole of Christendom. I agree that the presence of this non-Roman influence may have diminished the transmission of Latin culture in Britain.
Felix Wang
Quote:It would be appropriate to mention that there was a center of Christianity in Ireland at this time, which had considerable importance in the British Isles, and in some ways, the whole of Christendom. I agree that the presence of this non-Roman influence may have diminished the transmission of Latin culture in Britain.

Indeed, if we are talking about the end of the 5th start of the 6th cents. At the start of the 5th, Ireland is still pagan. St. Patrick is thought to have been a romano Briton living in the west of Britain. It is because British and Irish Christianity are relatively distant from the Gallo roman Church that it develops along different lines. There were contacts, but the impetus was to convert the Irish and stop Pelaganism getting a foothold.

best
authun
Harry Amphlett
...and of course, Patrick's chosen second vocation was copying rare European texts, books, and poetry. Since he did that, he in effect "saved civilization". Ref the book by that title, How the Irish Saved Civilization. A very interesting (if a little pretentious) read.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
"Influence" is a tricky word. I suspect some of this controversy is caused by our differing meanings (without getting into its etymology and derivations).

The fact that scholarly books are still being written about Roman Britain, the National Trust (and others) preserves and promotes many Roman sites, popular fiction are written (and movies filmed) with Roman British themes, seeking and reconstructing or preserving Roman-era battle sites continues, and tourists trek to these sites of Roman presence all indicate some influence.

Does England's Roman antecedents influence the day-to-day life of modern English? Hardly. There are too many intervening layers of other cultures. But, just as there is a Celtic sub-strata to British culture, there is a Roman one. What and how much one sees depends on what filter one is looking through.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea