Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Infant mortality -ancient world
Anyone know a good source for infant mortality in the roman empire? I did some checking and found one source that estimated a 30% infant mortality in the city of rome. But this was city only. More checking found an average of 15-20% rate for medieval peasants.

I find it unlikely that the empire a whole has a worse mortality than the medieval period.

Any help is appreciated.
Timothy Hanna
You might try Brunt's Italian Manpower. Unfortunately I read a library copy, so don't have it handy to cite anything, but I do remember he claimed that almost the entire growth of the city of Rome itself came from immigration because the mortality rate was so high in the urban area. It was a fascinating book. Brunt also freely admitted what we don't know about the ancient population, which is quite a lot. The book was published in the 1970s, I think, so there are probably more recent estimates out there now.

Doing some internet searching of scholarly journals, I found numbers ranging from 25% to 40%.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Anyone know a good source for infant mortality in the roman empire?
Tim Parkin, Roman Demography and Society (Baltimore 1992) is the book you need.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Anyone know a good source for infant mortality
Of course you meant "a good source for infant mortality statistics, right? :lol: :!:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:
Quote:Anyone know a good source for infant mortality
Of course you meant "a good source for infant mortality statistics, right? :lol: :!:

Ummm, yeah. Of course that is what I meant!

I love my children. :lol:

Though when discipline has to be given out I often comment to my wife about how much easier it wa being a Viking father. :twisted:
Timothy Hanna
Oh, good. Because the source for the other kind is "Irritation and Frustration". Only now they call the Child Protective Services. Can't just set them out on a snowy rocky outcrop when you get tired of them these days--though when I had 5 teenagers at once in my house, the thought did occasionally cross my mind....
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The current thinking is that mortality in the ancient world is best modeled using one of the high mortality Coale-Demeny models (either West or South, somewhere between level 1 and level 6).

In practical terms, that means that something on the order of half of all of the children born in any given year may have died by the age of 10, with mortality in the first year of life somewhere on the order of 20-30%. In this model overall life expectancy at birth is low, i.e. somewhere between 20-30 years, precisely because infant mortality is so high.

The book by Parkin cited above is decent. There's also a good short introduction by Bruce Frier in the Cambridge Ancient History (2nd edition), Volume 11 (The High Empire), pp. 787-816. The census declarations from Roman Egypt are probably the best actual ancient source; See the book on this by Bagnall and Frier, The Demography of Roman Egypt.
Walter Scheidel has published greater number of articles and book chapters dealing with Roman demography in the last 10 years. Many available freely as Princeton/Stanford Working Papers in Classics. For me they were a good up to date introduction to the topic. He discuses in some detail the drawbacks various approaches to determine the Roman age structure like using UN model live tables, inscriptions from tombstones or the Egyptian census figures.

http://www.stanford.edu/~scheidel/pub.htm
Michael

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Numbers and Counting in the ancient world Lothia 4 1,443 07-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Lothia
  Colour in the Ancient Greek World hoplite14gr 2 1,212 04-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  contacts between ancient world and America eugene 6 1,816 11-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell