Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Greek Helm
oops ive opened a can of worms or should that be lamellar :lol: a subject worthy of its own thread

Quote:
Quote:If you mean the Mars of Todi and the like frescos,they almost certainly were leather rather than iron or bronze.

Yes, I agree based on the color images, perhaps rawhide. But if they were based on Carthaginian imports, wealthy Carthaginians may well have had the same armor made of iron or bronze. In the near east bronze, iron , and rawhide scales are all common- sometimes mixed in the same armor. The Assyrian armor looks like, but is probably not lamellar. It consists of scales on a leather shell with the scales also laced together.

my conjecture is iron or a mix of bronze & iron rather than rawhide or leather for a wealthy carthaginian , i would say a bronze cuirass or a linothorax may be less controversial considering the general lack of evidence relating to punic armours....at this time i have made no decision ,now as then perhaps cost is a BIG factor :roll: .

Quote:
Quote:Sacred Band
Church Orchestra? :lol: :wink:
no we play Polkas :wink:
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Quote:no we play Polkas :wink:

My favorite is "Roll out the first-born". As in we'll have a "Baal-El" of fun!
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:
Quote:no we play Polkas :wink:

My favorite is "Roll out the first-born". As in we'll have a "Baal-El" of fun!
:lol: :lol: :lol: we also do xmas songs "O'Tanit Baum" & "Romulus the red nosed Roman"
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Barcid, do you mind me asking how your overall experience with Manning Imperial was? I put a down payment on a spear and they seemed very pleasant via e-mail. I ordered a Celtic Spear and butt from them that should be done around mid 2011 or so. I can't wait! Big Grin
Todd Franks

"The whole race is madly fond of war, high spirited and quick to battle, but otherwise straightforward and not of evil character." - Strabo on the Celts
Quote:Barcid, do you mind me asking how your overall experience with Manning Imperial was? I put a down payment on a spear and they seemed very pleasant via e-mail. I ordered a Celtic Spear and butt from them that should be done around mid 2011 or so. I can't wait! Big Grin

Great people to deal with i can not fault them in any way ,i have a few more items on order with them too .the wait sucks but worth it when you get your toys & i get to play with them at reenactments here aswell ..Bonus Big Grin
Quote:
Brennus:1v16gu1x Wrote:Barcid, do you mind me asking how your overall experience with Manning Imperial was? I put a down payment on a spear and they seemed very pleasant via e-mail. I ordered a Celtic Spear and butt from them that should be done around mid 2011 or so. I can't wait! Big Grin

Great people to deal with i can not fault them in any way ,i have a few more items on order with them too .the wait sucks but worth it when you get your toys & i get to play with them at reenactments here aswell ..Bonus Big Grin
Good to hear! It says alot about em' if you have more items on order. I like trying to give some more exposure to smiths that put out good work and are a pleasure to deal with. 8)
Todd Franks

"The whole race is madly fond of war, high spirited and quick to battle, but otherwise straightforward and not of evil character." - Strabo on the Celts
Quote:
barcid:2qda2kq9 Wrote:
Brennus:2qda2kq9 Wrote:Barcid, do you mind me asking how your overall experience with Manning Imperial was? I put a down payment on a spear and they seemed very pleasant via e-mail. I ordered a Celtic Spear and butt from them that should be done around mid 2011 or so. I can't wait! Big Grin

Good to hear! It says alot about em' if you have more items on order. I like trying to give some more exposure to smiths that put out good work and are a pleasure to deal with. 8)

Good Idea ! ,I'd put Matt Lukes on par with Manning Imp. Too ! Top Guy to deal with & Great work see attached Pila Ironwork
[Image: aw8bab.jpg]

[Image: hrmrte.jpg]
Looking good! Thanks for the referral Barcid 8)
Todd Franks