Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Proceedings of) Congress of Roman Frontier Studies, 1949.
Hi all

There's a publication I'm trying to get my hands on and also trying to form a correct bibliographic citation for. I've found it on a number of websites as, for example, Specialized Bibliographies, Roman Bibliiography, Compiled by Lynn Nelson where it is shown as:

"Congress of Roman Frontier Studies. 1949. Edited by Eric Birley. Durham, North Carolina: University of North Carolina Press, 1952."

Having read further on these Congresses, I found the first was organised by Professor Eric Birley (1906 - 1995) at (then) King's College, Durham University, at Newcastle-Upon-Tyne in July 1949. This makes me think the publication details above are possibly wrong, the American Durham maybe having been assumed somewhere along the line?

I have elsewhere seen the publication details for this work given as "Durham, 1952" or "Durham Univesity: Durham, 1952". However, as far as I can google, Durham University (UK) today doesn't seem to have a Press like Oxford's and a search of the UNC Press site raises nothing by Birley.

Does anyone actually have a copy of this work and is able to reveal its publication details? I'd be most grateful,

Thanks

SPC / Howard
Spurius Papirius Cursor (Howard Russell)
"Life is still worthwhile if you just smile."
(Turner, Parsons, Chaplin)
Durham Uni no longer has an individual press I believe...just checking some references and will hpoefully have some feedback if others don't beat me to it

Edit:

If you have access to JSTOR (sadly I don't), there is a full bibliography for Eric Birley where it will be listed.

Or this : The Congress of Roman Frontier Studies 1949; ed by Eric Birley Durham University, 1952

Found it by searching on ISBN 9B52166620
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:"...just checking some references and will hopefully have some feedback...If you have access to JSTOR...there is a full bibliography for Eric Birley...Found it by searching on ISBN..."
Thanks Vindex

If you have the time I'd certainly appreciate your feedback. I do have access to the JSTOR bibliography but, unfortunately, the article doesn't advance things.

BTW, and sidetracking..., re getting access to JSTOR which is a real bonus! I don't know what the situation is like in Britain, but the setup here in Brisbane (Oz) makes getting on JSTOR and a host of other sites fairly easy and so well worth the effort. The Brisbane City Council runs a Municipal Library network - one library in each suburb. You join one and the personal code they give you allows you to join the (I'm gonna get technical here) "authorised-database-searching-group-thingie" through the Queensland State Library. You can also join the QSL by simply registering and do the same. Just to be sure, I did the same with the National Library of Australia. All of these registrations are free (provided you're resident in Brisbane, or Queensland and are an Australian citizen). It has proved worth it. Try to access JSTOR otherwise and they ask for (a lot of) money. I imagine in British cities you don't have one City Council but separate borough councils (??) and maybe these run the equivalent of municipal libraries with a similar sort of setup. I don't know if, in Britain, the public facilities have fees which would be something of a disincentive. But, just for the heck of it, I'm making a link Arrow to the relevant Queensland State Library page so you can see what I'm talking about. It might be worth searching the city/county/etc public library sites for a similar sort of registration option, hopefully fee-free. It really is worth it.

Anyhoo, back to topic. I will try following the ISBN you've given me across the web to see what turns up. Many thanks again!
Big Grin
Howard/ SPC
Quick reply to your digression - JSTOR is readily available if you are associated with a learning institution it recognises (like Uni or college) which I'm not. Otherwise you have to pay to see anything Cry But others on here have been very helpful before and got access to things for me. Big Grin

WIll this link help you?

http://www.jstor.org/pss/525985

Another Edit: There is a copy available through Abe Books in the UK (£32!!) here:

http://tinyurl.com/3yazu6h
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Thanks Vindex

I've investigated the JSTOR link with thanks but, unfortunately, it doesn't advance things much beyond what I have.

The Abe Books link, however, might be my only hope and I'm thinking seriously about that, although £32.00 + shipping is also pause for thought. Then again, with the AUS$ where it is, this might be a good time to buy, eh?

Re your problems accessing JSTOR, please count me as one willing to help if you need one of their articles. Just pm me.

Cheers and again thanks

Howard / SPC
A handy link to all the Limeskongresses down to 2005 (since when I have been unable to update the web site as, somewhat embarrassingly, I forgot the password details): http://antoninuspius.tripod.com/file/collect.html

Also, for a handy check, I sometimes look up the University of London Research Library: http://catalogue.ulrls.lon.ac.uk/.

Essentially, you are right: "Durham: University of Durham, 1952".

Quote:Quick reply to your digression - JSTOR is readily available if you are associated with a learning institution it recognises (like Uni or college) which I'm not.
Also, it will only give you access to those journals which your institution subscribes to. So you should feel privileged in Queensland, Howard!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Thanks Vindex

Re your problems accessing JSTOR, please count me as one willing to help if you need one of their articles. Just pm me.

Cheers and again thanks

Howard / SPC

That's jolly kind of you! Thank you. Big Grin
Moi Watson

Hi again,

Quote:A handy link to all the Limeskongresses down to 2005 ...I sometimes look up the University of London Research Library...Essentially, you are right: "Durham: University of Durham, 1952"... (JSTOR) will only give you access to those journals which your institution subscribes to. So you should feel privileged in Queensland, Howard!
Thanks Duncan. I like the Collections page, but I have to say I was staggered by the rest of the "Idiosyncratic Bibliography" (which I intend to explore much further). What a project! Is it yours or a group's? Was/is it intended to be ongoing? This is one impressive resource.

Re my original inquiry - "Durham: University of Durham" it is then. I'd not seen the London Research Library site before, so that too is a welcome addition to my "links collection".

Re my JSTOR access, Vindex, Duncan has reminded me I do indeed have limitations there. There have been JSTOR articles I've not been able to obtain through my Municipal/State Library access. However, these have (so far) been in a minority. Other databases are also searchable, ERIC and so on, but with these the "hit" rate is far lower unless it is an Australian publication you're looking for.

Quote:...jolly kind...
You're certainly welcome. Lately, however, I really am beginning to feel, as Duncan says, "privileged in Queensland" or perhaps in Australia. What we (here) hear of what's happening in the British economy (and in Europe's) recently must surely be having some kind of impact on the ability to conduct research. If free access to (even a number of) online publications, as through Australian public libraries, is something not offered in Britain, then I certainly do feel privileged. And so, even happier to help where I can.

Cheers for now

Howard / SPC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gregory's Roman Military Architecture on the Eastern Frontier allobye 0 20 10-15-2023, 02:28 AM
Last Post: allobye
  Roman frontier names Coroticos 16 5,459 07-08-2016, 10:59 AM
Last Post: Coroticos
  23rd Limes Congress 2015 at Ingolstadt (D) .... Simplex 3 1,676 06-03-2015, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Simplex