Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frontline rotation in combat.
Salvete,

I am hoping for a little help from the re-enactors out there with this one...

I have read some modern books referring to Roman units 'rotating' troops from the front rank to the rear during combat, and I have seen the Rome series part one which has a very good stab at depicting this action, but I can not find any contemporary accounts of exactly how this was carried out, which I feel sure it was.

Have any re-enactor groups experimented with this technique, and if so what actual drill movements seemed to work the best? I can understand that it would have been a difficult action to carry out (particularly if you had a crazed maniac hacking at you with a huge sword at the time!).

Thanks for any help.

P.S. sorry if this has been covered already on this site.
Vale
Fruitbat
A.K.A Dave
I don't think there isn't a general view on how this was done. I personnaly prefer to see these action (as well as the famour Cuneus/Wedge formation) on a more legionsize scale. So not single soldiers rotating but as a centurie as a whole at once. This can be done if we apply all centuries into a 'chess-board' pattern instead of a straight front line. Now you can change which centuries are in the front and which not.

I don't know of anyone experiencing this action, as most (if not all) groups are simply way to small to test such an action.

Just my two denarii...
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thanks Jurjenius,

Yes, I thought that the size of groups might be a problem with this action, pity really.

The bit you mention about the 'chess board' pattern is very interesting though. When you read about the length of a front line in a battle, would this mean that the line was staggered in this way, or was it used as an offensive pattern with a solid line for a defence I wonder.

Can any re-enactors out there give any clue about the actual way that one man would swap with another while fighting in the front line? I can imagine that a sword, shield, pilum etc could be a bit unwealdy when two men are trying to swap places without becoming vulnerable to an attacking enemy, who would see any opening as an opportunity (I would).
Vale
Fruitbat
A.K.A Dave
Right after Rome: HBO came out, there was quite considerable discussion here. Essentially, we know that they had to switch out tired men, but we really don't know exactly how that was done.
<!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=23718&p=211781&hilit=whistle#p211781">viewtopic.php?f=17&t=23718&p=211781&hilit=whistle#p211781<!-- l Here's one of the threads. That might get you started.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maximum rotation degree for torsion springs? Koyuncu 7 2,375 12-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Koyuncu
  Battle-line rotation during the combat Antek 133 28,935 10-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Sardaukar