Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Etruscan warrior at Sentinum battle
Hi.

I am in this forum since some month, but this is my first post.

I have to help a guy in my group to build/buy an etruscan infantry kit; we decided to focus on Sentinum battle (295 b.C.) because we reenact italian Gauls of III b.C. and so he could be in events with the rest of us without chronological problems.

But how would you figure an etruscan warrior in 295 b.C.? Still closer to an hoplite or already similar to a roman republican soldier?

Helmet:
i would go for a Montefortino with trilobated cheekguards.

Cuirass:
musculata (graves from Canosa and Orvieto; both second half of 4th b.C.)? Tube and yoke (like the statue of Mars from Todi, first half of 4th b.C.)? Chainmail? Breastplates?

Cnemides?

Sword:
machaira? Some kind of gladius?

Shield (biggest problem):
clipeus/aspis (some found until 300 b.C.)?
oval shield with central spina?

I own "Gli eserciti etruschi" by Ivo Fossati (quoted in another recent post), but it did'nt solve my problems because it ends with 4th century b.C.

What do you think?
I would prefer the oplitic model, just because otherwise, with Montefortino/ oblong shield/ chainmail he would look almost like us Celts, and also because i am looking for a good excuse to have fun building my first aspis, but i want your advice to know if it would be accurate.
Kosios (Livio Asta)
I forgot to ask if anybody has more informations about this statue and can confirm the datation:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mharrsch/1 ... set-34519/
Kosios (Livio Asta)
Hi,

I always look with simpathy any fellow etruscan... Ciao! Tongue

I would say that the "statuette" you linked is partially your solution. A montefortino or a a more greek-like helmet (with more enhanced cheek-guards as explained in the excellent Connolly "Greece and Rome at War" pages 98-100). The Negau was alredy "old fashined" but still present somewhere...
The shield would be sized depending of his role in the battlefield. The romans took from the etruscans the division in roles in the Legio (Triarii, Principes, Hastati and velites), but because we don't know how the etruscans named them we just say conventionally 1st class, 2nd class etc.... Of course in the III century they evolved like did the others peoples in the peninsula. The romans were at the time already "dictating" tactical and strategical "rules" on the battlefield, from the experience.
If you are interested in the etruscans of the IV century (end of it) I am organizing an event in Italy about them in may 2011 (link: http://mysteriousetruscans.com/RISVEGLIO/ ) maybe you could tell this to your friend and get in touch with me.

Bye

Larth
Luigi
a.k.a. Larth Kuritianas
a.k.a. Ludovico il Calvo
ready to go for battle!
I will. Thank you.
Kosios (Livio Asta)
This link could also help....

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~dpd/italica/a ... plies.html

moreover, if you like the Negau model, I know a guy near Ancona that have a mold and can make them quite cheap.

Ciao

Larth
Luigi
a.k.a. Larth Kuritianas
a.k.a. Ludovico il Calvo
ready to go for battle!