Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloaks through the ages
I'll try to answer this as best I can, however your best bet would be to obtain a copy of Graham Sumner's "Roman Military Dress" - The section he has on cloaks isn't large, but it is well-researched and pretty expansive. I'm at work and don't have my copy at hand, but I can follow-up later if you like...

Depending on the period, there are numerous types of cloaks in use. Some are only known by reference in paper, while others can be seen on frescoes and statues. I believe Graham's book mentioned four or five styles (A few are similar), however the most common cloaks (At least for common milites) would be the sagum and the paenula. The sagum was typically a rectangle-shape, and larger than a blanket (Some re-enactors will adapt old wool Army blankets for this purpose). The paenula was circular or oval-shaped and was the only style with a hood if I recall correctly. They ARE made from wool, however I don't know of any off-hand that were described as two-layered. Remember that they were used as a bedroll, and thus were typically rolled up and carried with their kit. Therefore, their cloaks couldn't be too thick.

Traditionally the cloaks were of a yellow-brownish shade, though I've seen arguments for red as well. (Mine own is actually a darker brown...). They definietly still had a good deal of lanolin still in them for a water-repellant property, though if yours isn't it can be treated with a soak in some lanolin to bestow that quality. The sagum was typically pinned with fibulae, however research indicated the paenula was closed with a series of four sucessive toggles. Evidence was presented for both enamled metal toggles, as well as simpler wooden styles. As far as length of cloak, the sagum wasn't as long as you describe. The paenula would reach approximately 1 1/2 yards (The oval style, at any rate. You're looking at 3 yards of fabric 60" wide). Yours *sounds* like it may be close, but I'd post a picture if you're able - If nothing else, the members here are certainly sharp-eyed, and would better be able to assess it's accuracy. As I mentioned before, I don't have my copy of 'Roman Military Dress' at hand (I'm in the middle of a move to my first house). If I can get my copy I'll correct any mistakes i've mde thus far, or perhaps Graham can clear up anything I've mis-quoted... :-P

Also, here's a link to Legio XX's page on cloaks, which may give you a better idea of size measurements and what one actually looks like: http://www.larp.com/legioxx/cloak.html

-Quintus C. Britannicus
-Ryan

-Cave a sinistra manu utebatur pro bellator.

Messages In This Thread
Cloaks through the ages - by Jack Rizzio - 10-13-2013, 02:30 AM
Cloaks through the ages - by Quintus Claudius Scaevola - 10-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Cloaks through the ages - by Flavivs Aetivs - 10-13-2013, 04:16 PM