Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can anyone reccomend some good historical fiction?
L. Sprague de Camp's Lest Darkness Fall. His Hellenistic historical novels are harder to find.

Jack Whyte's Arthurian books are entertaining, but lets just say research is not his strong suit. And there are always Rosemary Sutcliffe's books.

Harry Turtledove writes a lot of historical fiction and alt hist set in thinly disguised historical settings, including a nice series about Rhodian merchant adventurers, but he's most interested in the medieval empire.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:And there are always Rosemary Sutcliff's books.
I can recommend Sutcliff too! Although not modern anymore (most details are based on 1950s-archaeology, they make up in pure atmosphere.
I'm now ready Victor Canning's trilogy 'The Crimson Chalice', which, despite collecting Arthurian literature, had escaped me. I'm halfway book 2, but already I think it's an extremely good read!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Donna Gillespie's Lightbearer series is based on the Germanic female warrior Aurinia; its set during the reign of Domitian. It's very accurate and enjoyable I think!

The Light Bearer is work of rare genius - you can't go far wrong with that one, that's for sure.
I have read two of the proposed three books in Donna Gillespie's Light Bearer series. The second one, which I borrowed from the local library, has Trajan's Second Dacian War as a side plot-line, with the promise of more in the third book based on the cliff-hanger she leaves one with at the end of the book. I have not seen any information on the third one. The Dacian Wars are extremely rare as part of Roman historical fiction, at least among those written in English.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
She's writing the third one at the moment - not sure how far she is through it, though. But how ever long it takes, it'll be worth waiting for, she's an amazing writer.

Cheers

Russ
How could I have forgotten the little known Boat of Fate by Keith Roberts? Written by a man better known for his sci-fi, it was recommended to me by a member of staff in my local bookshop. The story of a young Iberian Roman, and set at the time of the withdrawal of Rome from Britain, it is outstandingly well written. Without doubt, it is one of the top 5 Roman HF books I've ever read. Big Grin

[url:1xwjr4ay]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boat-Fate-Keith-Roberts/dp/1587153564/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288801837&sr=8-1[/url]
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
James Duffy
"Sand in the Arena"
"The Fight for Rome"
about gladiators in the 1st century. Accurate gladiator types, thrilling stories. Mr. Duffy had planed to write more than those two books but when the sales didn't meet the expectations of his publishers he unfortunately stopped after those two volumes Sad
Always Lindsey Davis, Steven saylor, John Maddox Roberts, Carolyn Lawrence, Ruth downie, Kelly Stanley, Simon Scarrow, Ursula k Leguin, Robert Harris, Lindsey Allison jones, albert bell, among many others. Steven Saylor's website has a long list.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Rich,
You should have gone to Bouchercon, the world mystery convention, in San Francisco last month. Steven Saylor, Lindsey Davis and I were on a historical mystery panel along with newcomer Gary Corby, an Aussie who has written a murder mystery set in ancient Athens. It was standing room only and I suspect people expected to see blood on the floor, but it all went very amicably. It was the first time the three of us had been on the same panel. Kelli Stanley was at the convention, too.
Pecunia non olet
The SF event sounds so cool, wish I had known about it. Have read all of Davies', Saylor's and your books since your first one (even when it was only published in German, if I remember correctly).
Aka
Christoph
Quote:You should have gone to Bouchercon, the world mystery convention, in San Francisco last month.

I heard about it too late: I will have to attend next year.

And a quick search on Amazon for Gary Corby (added to wish list for release) also brings up:

Roman Games: A Plinius Secundus Mystery by Bruce Macbain

which to me is a new name. Anyone read this one?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Harris's "Lustrum" is an excellent read. It's not the least bit military but very atmospheric with very well drawn characters.

Theo
Quote:Gore Vidal`s "Julian" is very good...

Second that one as well :!:
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Historical Fiction Yehya 8 1,259 02-10-2022, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Niedel
  Historical Fiction Reviews Bill Altimari 39 5,911 10-30-2004, 02:55 AM
Last Post: Anonymous