Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birdoswald Roman Fort
Does anyone know anything about the book "Birdoswald Roman Fort" by Tony Wilmot. What sort of information is in it and does it have illustrations and diagrams?<br>
<br>
Wendy <p></p><i></i>
There are 89 illustrations and 26 colour plates and it is a sound general account of the recent (and previous) work on the site. Definitely one of the better publications from Tempus (and there have been some dire offerings recently).<br>
<br>
Best enjoyed if you've ever had a guided tour of the site with Tony doing his impression of Prince Charles... ;-)<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Mike, I would appreciate it if you could give a couple of recommendations for recent Tempus titles worth purchasing, and perhaps even better to advise which ones to avoid!<br>
The reason I ask is that I get most of my books via my mum from The Ancient and Medieval history bookclub and the majority of their offerings in the Roman section appear to be Tempus publications. I phone mum and she tells me what's on offer in the catalogue and bit of the blurb and I make a decision based on that. It's a rather hit and miss affair if I get a good book or not. e.g sometimes I end up with authors like Neil Faulkner!<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Wendy,<br>
If you're interested in stuff on the wall I just wondered if you had come across Garrison Life at Vindolanda-A band of brothers by Anthony Birley. It's also published by Tempus. Now I hate to admit this but although it's been on my bookshelf 3 months I still haven't got around to reading it from cover to cover yet. But just from dipping it seems it's going to be a pretty interesting.<br>
Jackie.<br>
B.t.w. My brother found me a used copy of the Ann Hyland cavalry book you recommended, thro' a bookfinder in the U.K. It's on it's way to me now. Just thought I'd let you know! (He tried first to order it from Amazon.com in the U.S.A but had some problem with that. Not sure what though.) <p></p><i></i>
Thanks jackie. I'll put that on my wish list which currently includes the Birdoswold book and the Osprey Hadrian's Wall book. Fortunately they are all available at amazon.ca which will save me a few dollars, but even so the three together are a bit much for me at the moment. Good thing I just paid off my credit card.<br>
<br>
Wendy <p></p><i></i>
<em>Mike, I would appreciate it if you could give a couple of recommendations for recent Tempus titles worth purchasing, and perhaps even better to advise which ones to avoid!</em><br>
<br>
More than my pathetic little life is worth, I'm afraid, not least because what rings my bell will not necessarily work for you (or vice versa). Best not to buy in a hurry but either actually see a book or get a recommendation from someone whose taste you trust. Best I can do, I'm afraid.<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there