Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Photo CD of Caius Fabius Review...
Hello Folks!<br>
<br>
I have had the chance to look through the photo cd of Caius Fabius now, and I must say I am really impressed.<br>
<br>
The first folder of pictures is devoted to his visit to the Roman Fort of Vindolanda, the Roman site at Chester, and the baths at Aquae Sulis. There are some great close ups of the residence of the Fort's CO, and the stonework of many of the existing walls. Some of the fort looks to have been re-built, and there are some amazing shots of the walls, and a tower, as well as some views looking beyond the fortifications. It's almost erie, you get the feeling of what it was like for a legionary to look out over the same wall. The pictures of Chester are equally interesting, many of the amphitheatre that is there, as well as some pictures of the museum with Roman artifacts (very cool). I am not even going to get into the pictures of Aquae Sullis. They are beautiful. The artwork and craftmenship of this ancient bathhouse is simply stunning, and it has all been captured on film. Many of these pictures, you can't find in books. If you don't have a chance to get over to europe anytime soon, (like me), then this is a good way to get a good feel of what it is like to be on one of these fantastic sites.<br>
<br>
Several of the next folders are pictures of Roman artifacts, from jewelry of all kinds, to reconstructed helmets and equipment by Michael Simkins, as well as a huge slew of pictures from the Guttmann collection.<br>
<br>
One of the other "gems" of the cd is the collection of photos from "Roman Army Tour 2002". There are tons of pictures from sites such as Mainz, Kalkriese, Corbridge, Saalburg Fort, Alesia, and many more. Many of the pictures on this CD <strong>cannot</strong> be found in books. It is a close and intimate virtual tour of each place, seeing many things that are not only important, but because of Caius's trained eye, relevant.<br>
<br>
Many of these pictures can assist re-enactors in ideas for future projects with re-constructions, many of these items probably can't be found on the internet, or in books.<br>
<br>
Overall, a great addition to anyone's library. Contact Caius Fabius for selling information.<br>
<br>
<p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>