Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bows in Roman army
Getting back to the original statement, I would like to know on what assumption it is based in the first place, looking at the number of arrowheads found in a Roman context. The discussion now revolves around explaining why it may be so (dampness, for instance) A well waxed string stands up to dampness well (keeping it atop your sweaty head, for instance) but is soaked by heavy rain, does become waterlogged (thus heavy) and will lessen the performance of the bow a lot.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Quote:Sean:
Your arguments are pretty persuasive and I have to admit this is all speculation on my part. It may be that cultural factors played a part in not adopting the bow, or that the bow was not effective sufficiently enough to adopt it as a weapon, or as I have speculated that the bow required too much maintenance and was not effective in many climatic zones. I did some research, and pulled an Osprey book called The Hun by Nic Fields. There are several interesting comments the author makes about the composite bow; first he states that the bow becomes quickly useless in relative humidity of 80% or more, and second that it does not produce a lethal wound against most types of body armor. He mentions that the English Bowman at Crecy had to store their bow strings under their caps to keep the humidity from affecting them and of course they were not using composite bows.
I also pulled the relative humidity map of Europe from the Internet:
http://www.intellicast.com/Global/Humid ... gion=sweur which shows that relative humidity is quite astonishingly high for the Mediterranean basin and northern Europe. Naturally, the climate of modern Europe may not resemble what ancient Romans were accustomed to, and since we don't have anyone to interview from that period we will never know. It is fun to debate it though with knowledgeable people such as you who have compelling arguments.
Vincent
Thanks Vincent. I agree that lots of prehistoric peoples seem to use bows only for hunting and not war.

From what I've read, you can design composite bows to deal with most levels of humidity, but changes in humidity (like taking a bow designed for arid plains into a rain forest or a thunderstorm) will damage them. And they are fiddly and fragile.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
One should also bear in mind that different weapons suit different circumstances - a javelin may lack the range of an arrow, but at close range is far more dangerous and 'armour piercing', hence effective, than any arrow ( due to its greater mass and kinetic energy). Slingstones are capable of penetrating flesh and creating concussion injuries through helmets and armour ( where arrows bounce off), and in some circumstances outrange bows. In general each had advantages and disadvantages, and if people with all three skills were available, then all three weapons were included in the Army's inventory of available weapons fairly indiscriminately.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman cross-bows Theodosius the Great 25 6,861 01-16-2005, 12:55 AM
Last Post: Lucius Aurelius Metellus