Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman umbrella and more... ^^
Hi! Here a few pics for you to drool over... Pics are for personal use only.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
very interesting Christian. Any more info on dating and where where these pictures taken?
ALA I BATAVORUM
Very nice, Christian! As Jurjen said, do you have some more background info for us, perhaps?
Are this pictures from an Italian museum, maybe the national Etruscan museum Tarquinia? I was there a few weeks ago and I think i saw this. Is this is right, this is a Etruscan umbrella or an import from Egypt, but I really don't remember what was writen next to items.
From the last picture, I can read that the umbrella is from 4-3sec. BC and was used for sunshade and there (incomplete text) is mentioned that was used by women of high rang.
Regards,

Miha Franca
"Balnea, vina, Venus corrumpunt corpora nostra; sed vitam faciunt balnea, vina, Venus."
Tiberius Claudius Secundus
www.vespesjan.eu
What is that umbrella made of? Is it totally out of bone? At least the lower part looks like it.

Also, do we have more examples of these? I'm thinking on giving a repro of it a try and therefore looking for as much information and pictures on these items.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Hi folks!
I made the pic in Tarquinii. ^^
The handle and the upper part are made from bone, the rest was some other material, I would guess wood. I am not sure if the datation onm the plaque is correct, since no reference to the object was given in the "museum", which actually is rather a "collection".
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Umbrella Eleatic Guest 23 6,627 02-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Last Post: Jona Lendering