Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life After People - Colosseum
I saw an episode of The History Channel's Life After People that talked about what would happen to the Colosseum if there were no one to maintain it. Video

Two thoughts: First, it says that it will last much longer than modern structures, primarily because there are few iron reinforcing rods to corrode. This makes sense, I think. It's already lasted through centuries of neglect and outright dismantling.

Secondly, it states (around 20 seconds in) that "some say" half a million Christians died there. I'm dubious. Has anyone ever heard this figure before? Do you know where it comes from?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Secondly, it states (around 20 seconds in) that "some say" half a million Christians died there. I'm dubious. Has anyone ever heard this figure before? Do you know where it comes from?
To the best of my knowledge, we have no reliable statistics. We do not even know how many people were Christian, so it's best not to speculate about how many of them were killed in Rome.

Were they killed in the Colosseum? I think not.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote: "some say" half a million Christians died there
I think this is a safe way to say that you don't half believe such a claim because you don't trust the source at all, but you want to pass it on anyway. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)