Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HBO Helmet (From "The Legions of Rome" Thread by Arbeia)
(Hope I'm doing the right thing starting this new thread). Referring to the question by SLIZA2 on Arbeia's Legions thread about the "HBO-Rome" helmet (See image "B" below), I've had thoughts about this helmet and whether it really existed.

[Image: HOB_helmet.jpg?t=1286946951].
I've seen elsewhere it has been attributed to images on Trajan's column, like this one of an auxiliary receiving first aid (Image "A"). Image "B" seems to have a smooth skull, whereas HBO's (Images "C" and "D") skulls have a dimpled texture - maybe to give them a more authentic, "hand-crafted" look?

Ages ago I came across an illustration of a helmet, apparently ex-Guttman collection, that reminded me strongly of HBO's (Image "E"). This helmet is usually given as Etruscan and 4th Century BC. I've never seen anything questioning its authenticity. Its patina looks convincing, but the Victorians apparently loved their Roman "replicas" (Images "F" and "G") so maybe this Etruscan mightn't be all it purports to be.

I, however, would like it to be genuine. Its proportions are quite beautiful - perhaps too beautiful I worry. Its profile makes me want to see it as a cavalry helmet. The ear recesses are quite deep, making me wonder about the functionality of the helmet, even with a liner. I'm also wondering about cheek-guards; whether there were any, whether if there were their hinges fastened to the helmet rim forward of the ears or maybe higher, on the inside of the helmet.

The ring on the crown is in its own keeper and is lying flat, unlike the HBO helmets and the fakes where we are to assume the rings have been soldered upright. I remember seeing some discussion about a similarly-attached ring on an Italic helmet (perhaps a Niedermörmter) and its purpose there was stated as a fastening-point for a decorative horsehair plume. Perhaps the ring on "E" has the same purpose.

The raised ridge around "E" is part of the shaping of the helmet (rather like the forming we see in Chalcidian and some Corinthian helmets) and doesn't have the "mini-brim" look of the HBO helmet.

I've often wondered if the "HBO helmet" (and all similar images preceding it) have been latter-day interpretations of surviving images on Roman monuments. My example ("A") from Trajan's column, by the way, is probably not the best for the present purposes, but it was the best I could find quickly. The helmet of the "medic" (higher) does look like the HBO model, but the helmet of the "patient" (lower) seems a cross-braced example with a brow-guard.

Nevertheless, since debate continues about how familiar Roman sculptors were with contemporary field gear (or just how "contemporary" an auxiliary's field gear might have been) I'd like to suggest that a helmet such as "E" might have been the model for Roman artists in depicting what modern film-makers have turned into the HBO helmet.

Cheers

Howard/SPC
Spurius Papirius Cursor (Howard Russell)
"Life is still worthwhile if you just smile."
(Turner, Parsons, Chaplin)
Helmet "E" is one of a number of Italic helmets of this date, in German they are referred to as "Italische Helme mit Stirnkehle" (or "Stirnkehlung"). Another example is here:

edited by moderator due to violation of forum rule # 4

I am not aware of the precise dating contexts of these helmets but believe it unlikely that the dating would be several hundreds years off. More information can be found here:
H. Pflug, Italische Helme mit Stirnkehle, Antike Helme (Mainz 1988), pp. 276 (in German).

Given the considerable time gap I do not think it likely that they were in any way connected to the depictions on Trajan's column. I believe the depictions are easier explained by the fact that the artists conflated the brow and neck guard of regular "Imperial" type helmets in order to show more of the head of the soldiers (for the same reasons the cheek guards were reduced in size). However, you will be aware that other believe that these depictions should be taken literally (cf. D'Amato, Arms and armour of the Imperial Roman Soldier, you will find a lot of discussion of that book on RAT).

Finally, I believe that a study of Trajan's column by J.C.N. Coulston, co-author of "Roman Military Equipment" (All the Emperor's Men: Roman Soldiers and Barbarians on Trajan's Column) will be published in the near future and it will be interesting to see how he explains the helmets.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Thanks Jens

For those who wanted a clearer image of the helmet I was referring to, I've edited the previous post with a link. Alternatively, just click "here."

Another example of the same type of helmet is also shown (with details) at this site: Two Bronze Helmets of Etruscan Typology from a Roman Wreck Found at the Les Sorres Anchorage (GavĂ -Viladecans, Catalonia). Jens' illustration is yet another of this rather beautiful form of helmet.

Jens, I certainly take your points (and will try to get my hands on the text). However, when you see the illustration I was working from, you will see why I couldn't resist airing my theory.

Cheers

Howard/SPC
Ave!

First off, be careful of your methodology. Starting with a prop from that particular TV series and seeming to want to prove that it's accurate reminds us all a little of beloved former RAT member Woadwarrior! You're clearly not the frothing obsessed teenager that he was, but I still think you may be approaching the issue backwards.

The helmets on the Column were obviously based on SOMEthing. Some of them resemble typical Gallic/Italic helmets a little better, with that ridge easily seen as the brow reinforce merged into the upper occipital ridge. Yeah, neckguards and cheekpieces have been shrunk a bit, but you can see what they were getting at: typical legionary helmets. Now, just as clearly there *were* helmets in existence with that classical "Attic" shape, and no doubt such things could be seen in Rome on various cavalry guard units or officers. Any of those features could have influenced the artists.

We're still arguing about the ring! I don't tend to worry about it much. There are all kinds of features on the Column which don't exactly match the remains that we have, but there are very few people who believe that the artists were *trying* to match reality perfectly. (There ARE a few!!)

Basically, the helmet you have here is a variation on an Attic helmet, same general family as many others through several centuries. So, sure, it looks a bit like those on the Column, but given the dates I don't think we can draw a direct link. And I don't think the resemblance is strong enough to try to redate the helmet, which may very well have come from an Etruscan-era tomb, for all we know. It's also possible that the ring is a modern addition--someone else might have noticed that same resemblance to the Column, and added the ring to make it perfect! Hard to tell without a closer examination, and/or a few more reliable examples to compare.

Vale,

Matthew

PS: Almost everything in the HBO series was wrong. If you want to study history, start by forgetting everything you've seen on TV!
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Hi again

Matthew's cautionary note on methodology is well taken. Key questions lie in and around the practices of Roman artists and their attitudes toward representation. (And how time and Renaissance artists may have subsequently fiddled with those representations - in the famous case of the Paris Praetorians, very directly).

Can I just clarify, I wasn't trying to assert HBO's prop was a sincere attempt by filmmakers to be historically accurate. As I intimated long ago in a thread far, far away, as long as there are awards for costume design, it'll be a cold day in hell before we see conscientious historical accuracy in "historical" costuming on film. My intent was more to bury HBO's helmet than to praise it.

But filmmakers do influence public beliefs and attitudes and, in the HBO helmet, they have created a very plausible suggestion of a reality. The overarching idea from which they have created it comes from perceptions and traditions of representation stretching back to the Renaissance. And it's valid to explore this area.

Still, I have to say mea culpa and admit it doesn't serve proper inquiry to wave an artifact and say: "I betcha this is what the Romans copied to make the picture that HBO copied." It ignores the fact there isn't a clear consensus about what the picture was that the Romans created (quite aside from the effects of time and abuse on the clarity of that picture).

On the other hand, I can feel good that a beautiful example of the antique armourer's craft has doubtless been appreciated for its own sake (whether or not its own ring is original - I really hope it is though!). Sadly, we must all feel bad that filmmakers will continue to assume Roman military headgear is Roman enough for consumers as long as it has "a familiar ring to it". (Sorry - had to say it :wink: )

Cheers

Howard/SPC

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legions of Rome by Dando Collins Scutum designs MarcusNorwood 4 2,177 12-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Caratacus
  \"Terrorism and the Legions of Rome\" Nihonius Legio 7 2,286 04-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Last Post: Nihonius Legio
  The Legions of Rome Arbeia 19 4,161 10-13-2010, 06:46 AM
Last Post: Spurius Papirius Cursor