Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iPad at Pompeii: archaeologist views
An update about those iPads being used at Pompeii

[url:2mrz8qyv]http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/ipad_at_pompeii_does_tech_really_revolutionize_how.php[/url]
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Thanks for the link!

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Put them in a stargate Atlantis uniform and you have a new series !

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
You can transfer your ipad songs to itunes or your pc at first, than transfer these songs to your iTouch!

-----------------------------------------------------
ipad case iPad2 case ipad 2 case
Quote:An update about those iPads being used at Pompeii

[url:2mrz8qyv]http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/ipad_at_pompeii_does_tech_really_revolutionize_how.php[/url]

Obviously a journo short of a story.

Quote:I believe archaeology's alleged resistance to new technology is changing.
Sorry? That would be archaeology that was using handhelds in the field in the 1980s (thanks to Dominic Powlesland in the UK)?! Archaeology that uses lidar, ground-penetrating radar, and a whole host of state-of-the-art geophysical survey techniques. Gosh, I can't have been paying attention...

I still can't work out what bit of a colour tablet I need in the field for recording (one image appears to show somebody matching the colour of some samian against a colour-striped screen – newsflash: it's samian-coloured!). Batteries don't run out on pencil and paper, you can read it in strong daylight, write on it in a downpour, and if I trash one sheet I just get another. Not so easy if you sit on an iPad.

Now there might be some mileage in adapting an e-ink tablet/ereader like the new nook (easy to read in daylight), so that it took input (the Kindle is a non-starter in that department, quite apart from having far too many holes through which dirt could get in), or even at a pinch one of the trashy-but-cheap resistive Android tablets, but all of this tech is too transitory and – especially products with a bitten fruit on the front – way too locked into built-in redundancy (I didn't even mention the word 'pricey'). After 1 year, Mk1 is old and Mk2 is the one you need; tech has to have a realistic lifespan and be robust before it is worth considering for field use. You have no idea what a nightmare it is keeping cameras running in the field and there is a constant cycle of units being taken out to be serviced, replaced, and then swapped for ones back in from gathering dirt.

I'm afraid this looks like a gimmick that obviously does Apple no harm but smacks of short-sightedness. Oh, and a 10-inch screen is cumbersome (designed for couch potatoes); 7 is better and then the comparison with wax tablets works.

And let's hope their on-site backup strategy is armour-plated and rock solid... ;-)

Mike Bishop (confessed techaholic)
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there