Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review: Sumner\'s Roman Military Clothing (1)
I received the book over the weekend, and appreciate it even more. The clothing i quite unique, and I especially admire the range of footwear displayed. No longer "everyone on caligae" as was too often the case in these books. The figures are also very lifelike, congratulations! Does anyone know if Sumner used real photographs of people? Especially the legionry on plate B looks like a real WWII soldiers stood as model.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Robert<br>
<br>
'Cives Francorum, Miles Romanorum' <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hi<br>
<br>
Sumner has only just arrived here in Australia and so I pick it up today and will devour it tonight with my RAT providentia ( I am examining the phrase in Roman emperor ideology at the moment and find myself using it everywhere)<br>
<br>
Just an idea re: baggy tunics - possibly to facilitate hiding things in the folds of clothing which you always read about but which to the modern dresser seems a very unusual way to hide things (no trousers to tuck things into )With all those folds you could probably secure things without too much trouble and without too much discomfort.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Murray <p>It is an unscrupulous intellect that does not pay Antiquity its due reverence - Erasmus of Rotterdam

'Modern history, like a deaf man, answers questions no one asks' - Tolstoy War and Peace Ep. ii.1</p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
just brought the book today, very interesting indeed, the artwork is excellent as usual and i like his writing style, particularly like the image of the soldier being punished, as it shows a tunic with out all the belts and armour on top, the book should be laminated though to prevent damage from drooling <p></p><i></i>
Graham tells me that the second book is nearly finished and his thoughts are turning to the third. <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
He didn't by chance mention what would be in the third book?? Send his email an invite to RAT! <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Review: Roman Military Dress by Graham Sumner Salvianus 7 5,090 07-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Roman Military Clothing (3) Conal 80 26,312 07-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  Roman Military Clothing Vol 2 derek forrest 34 5,969 12-10-2003, 06:18 AM
Last Post: aitor iriarte