Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iron for the Eagles
D. Sim & I. Ridge, *Iron for the Eagles* (Tempus 2002) ISBN 0 7524 1900 5<br>
<br>
No, it's not about a kid nicking an F16 and dealing with Saddam single-handedly (happens all the time, I gather...), but as the subtitle says 'The Iron Industry of Roman Britain'. Lots of stuff about mining and production, but I suspect the stuff that will appeal to the re-enactors amongst you is that concerned with the production of artefacts (arrows, swords, pila, shield bosses, mail, nails etc etc). David, as most of you probably know, is a smith (not just a blacksmith) so writes from an informed point of view (unlike me, the culmination of whose metalworking career was the production of a rather tacky keyring many many years ago).<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
My copy just arrived, and in addition to the step by step of the production of such things as a gladius, fire arrow, tanged pilum and dolabra, there are detailed color photographs of bronze chain mail, clearly showing stamped rings and rivets, and the tools required to punch rings, nails, make a forge, and a lot of other detail. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
http://www.geocities.com/richsc53/studies/ </p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Rich,<br>
Where did you get the book? I tried running the ISBN through Amazon but came up blank. <p></p><i></i>
I got it through Amazon.co.uk, but you can also get it from David Brown/Oxbow books for $28.<br>
<br>
It seems that all the recommendations from Mike Bishop have turned out well: perhaps he is the next Oprah for historical publications? <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
http://www.geocities.com/richsc53/studies/ </p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=richsc>RichSC</A> at: 10/7/02 1:05:12 am<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I'm not quite sure how to take that - perhaps I should ease up on the historical cream cakes ;-)<br>
<br>
Seriously, though, I only draw these things to the attention of those who frequent the board and are interested in the subject. Just because I say I think it worth a look doesn't mean I endorse, agree, or even consider the death of the requisite number of trees was worthwhile. In fact, some (but thankfully few) of the books I have mentioned are (in my opinion) dire (and I won't even get started on the production values of some of the publishers), but I leave it to the reader to make up their own minds.<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
This book needs to be added to all our libraries . It provides the background to the Roman production of iron and then sets out how to make the various weapons in detail enough for you to have a go provided you have the tools and furnace. Its well written and illustrated with detailed construction plans. What would we ersatz Romans do without Tempus? <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
Does the book include a section on the production of mail or segmented armor during the empire? I'm talking about actual production in support of the Army not reproduction for re-enactments.<br>
thanks,<br>
Jeff <p></p><i></i>
Yes it does . It has 4 pages on mail but the references to the production of plate are a bit scattered throughout the book.<br>
Mathews site is still best on the making of a Lorica. <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
I have ordered my copy as well ... curses ... it was meant to be here today.<br>
<br>
All the best<br>
<br>
Graham <p></p><i></i>