Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Etruscan reenactment
Avete,

I thought I'd start a thread for general questions about Etruscan reenactment and for sharing photos of Etruscan impressions.

For starters I find it difficult to find any off-the-shelf helmets that would seem appropriate for this type of impression.
Choices seem limited to two Deepeeka models : Montefortino 'A', and Chalcidian.

I suppose we could add their Corinthian models though that helmet seems grossly over-represented in reenactment circles.

There were many other known types used like Apulo-Corinthian helmets but these do not appear to be available off-the-shelf.

Deepeeka's other Italian helmets are more suitable for Samnite impressions like their Greek Attic helmet.

Are there any readymade helmets from other manufacturers that could serve for an Etruscan impression ?

Thanks in advance,

~Theo
Jaime
Deepeka is a nice reference but of a limited and not high quality (that is my opinion).
Myself I have a Negau helmet (modified with cheekguards). I had it made by a friend of mine. The Negau is more confortable to wear than the montefortino.

Bye

Larth
Luigi
a.k.a. Larth Kuritianas
a.k.a. Ludovico il Calvo
ready to go for battle!
Hi! This is a new one for me. Can you tell me more about the impression of the Negau helmet. maybe, I could develop in time for your purpose. How many do you suppose you could need for your purpose, and what lead time do I have ? Anything else you need, please advice, and if we dont have it in our line, I will see what can be done.

Best Regards

Gagan
Any posts about reproducing equipment in the proper sections please guys!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ave Larth,

Quote:Deepeka is a nice reference but of a limited and not high quality (that is my opinion).
Myself I have a Negau helmet (modified with cheekguards). I had it made by a friend of mine. The Negau is more confortable to wear than the montefortino.

Yes, I think I can see your helmet in your avatar. Interesting, so you added cheekguards based on another helmet ? I assumed the Negau was worn using a leather chin-strap.

I recently put together an improvised Etruscan kit and ended up buying a Chalcidian helmet made by Deepeeka. It fits very well and I attached a pony tailed crest to it. For armor I wore a circular breastplate (but no backplate) and new Greek greaves made by Daniyal Steel Crafts. The greaves are 'Archaic' in style and they only come in one size, of course. They are quite wide for me but I suppose I can trim them down and reshape them. To complete the hoplite impression I carried a spear and shield but did not bother with a sword since I figure hoplites would not normally resort to using them while in a phalanx formation. I tried wearing a sword but the scabbard kept banging against the greave which gave me another reason not to bother wearing it Smile

~Theo
Jaime