Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Julius Caesar\'s Hypothetical Parthian Campaign?
I am curious to know how, if the Ides of March hadn't happened, if Caesar avoided assassination, how would he have carried out the Parthian Campaign? Has anyone published anything on the topic? Maybe a student or class at a military school. Or a professor. It would be pure speculative. But an interesting read.
NotTitusPullo/Mike
That\'s the Name
Probably much the same as Mark Anthony actually did carry out a subsequent Parthian campaign.....and that did not end well!
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
I know one article (in German) that summarizes the sparse evidence from various Roman sources for Caesar planed Parthian war.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/4435870

Also available freely here:
http://www.gnomon.ku-eichstaett.de/LAG/ ... krieg.html
Michael
Quote:Probably much the same as Mark Anthony actually did carry out a subsequent Parthian campaign.....and that did not end well!
I am not so sure. Our sources are extremely hostile towards Marc Antony. Nevertheless, they admit that he conquered Armenia (which regained its independence when Octavian attacked his fellow-triumvir). If we read the sources as we read all sources - recognizing bias and lowering exaggerated numbers of casualties - we recognize two campaigns that were pretty successful. There is, at least, room for doubt.

So I would say: Caesar would have added Armenia.

Quote:I know one article (in German)
My printer is now printing - thanks!
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Jona wrote:
Quote:So I would say: Caesar would have added Armenia.
Well these hypotheticals can be argued interminably :lol: :lol: , but both by military action and absorption as a 'client' state, Rome acquired Armenia several times, but never held it for terribly long. This suggests that any conquest by Julius Caesar would also have been fairly temporary.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Rome acquired Armenia several times, but never held it for terribly long. This suggests that any conquest by Julius Caesar would also have been fairly temporary.
True.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
If only Crassus hadn't had a "...lean and hungry look..." we might know for sure. :wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I think mark Antony failed because: first, he was a mediocre general, and second, he lost his supply and seige train by foolishly guarding it with one inexperienced and understrength legion. Without his supplies and seige equipment he was doomed. Caesar wouldnt have made that mistake and would likely have regained the urban Greek part of the Parthian empire and isolated the nomadic part rendering it impotent. Subsequent campaigns might have subjugated the remnants like Trajan did with dacia.
vincent
Quote:I think mark Antony failed because: first, he was a mediocre general...

I agree. His victories are because of pure luck. No sane commander would try and cross the Adriatic from Brundisium to Dyrrhachium on rafts and trading boats. But he did cross it. Because of pure luck.
You have to account his ability to insipire his men, and that he was basically a cavalry commander. He did not understand foot soldiers as he did cavalry. That's the thing, in a battles where was able to use cavalry he won. In Philippi Agrippa commanded legions and Antony cavalry.
Quote:Rome acquired Armenia several times, but never held it for terribly long. This suggests that any conquest by Julius Caesar would also have been fairly temporary.
In my humble opinion, you have misread the situation. Caesar was a conqueror. Augustus was far more shrewd. He engineered a situation where Rome effectively controlled Armenia for over a century until Trajan (Caesar to Hadrian's Augustus) blundered in and upset the delicate balance.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Were Pirates Such a Threat it Took a Military Genius Like Julius Caesar to Beat Them? Wrangler29 1 177 06-05-2023, 10:12 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  First evidence for Julius Caesar's invasion of Britain discovered kavan 1 1,332 11-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Was Julius Caesar ever wounded in battle? Tempestvvv 3 3,698 09-07-2015, 04:46 AM
Last Post: Bryan