Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Roman....
Just borrowed this book from my neighbhour...I think it's a fictional story based on Rome....<br>
<br>
The Roman, by Mika Waltari, Putnam Publishing, 1966<br>
<br>
Anyone read it? <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
Ah, Mika Waltari..also wrote the Egyptian, which was made into a marvelous movie starring Victor Manure (as my dad was fond of calling him). <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc@romanarmytalk>RichSC</A> at: 12/17/02 2:34:29 am<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Yeah, I remember seeing that movie many years ago and liking it very much. I am going to the video shop and see if I can find it.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Ahhh - watched it just the other week with Vic as Horemheb turned against Akenaten. Lovely. Although not much for the realist film buffs what with the iron weapons of the Hittites and all.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi <p>It is an unscrupulous intellect that does not pay Antiquity its due reverence - Erasmus of Rotterdam<br>
<br>
'Modern history, like a deaf man, answers questions no one asks' - Tolstoy War and Peace Ep. ii.1</p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Ummmm....yeah, the egyptian....so how about the book "The Roman"? <p><br>
Magnus/Matt<br>
Optio<br>
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" </p><i></i>
I have had this for a bit but not read it. Its written in 1964 and is set in the time of Nero and Claudius and seems to be in the mould of The Robe and Quo Vadis. Never made it into film 444 pages with Mike's and several Tempus books to read it looks like a candidate for a train journey or even Tarragonna.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
Wasn't this the one with the incredible scenes in the Pyramid at the end?<br>
<br>
One broken sand vase and the structure sealed itself off. Never forget that film. <p></p><i></i>
You're confusing "The Egyptian" with "Land of the Pharaohs." The former was solemn, the latter far campier. It starred Jack Hawkins as Khufu and Joan Collins as a terrific body. It had all that sand at the end. Incidentally, Martin Scorsese lists "Land of the Pharaohs" as one of his favorite movies. <p></p><i></i>