Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cosmology of the Roman Legion
Among many, and I use to include myself in this category, the Roman legion, was overtime, modified to produce a fined tuned killing machine; an organisational weapon par excellence. However, nothing could be furthest from the truth. After researching dozens of ancient historians writing on mathematics, geometry and astronomy, and having matched this information with the military organisation of the legion from Servius Tullius to Vegetius, I can categorically make the claim with extreme confidence the organisation of the Roman legion replicates the constellations. (Footnote) There are five planets able to be seen by the naked eye that are known to the ancients, and with the zodiac consisting of 12 signs, this produces the number 60 (12 signs x 5 planets). This is why the number 60 dominants the legion’s organisation. The size and organisation of the tribes closely mirrors the position of the constellation that governs the Romans. Basically the tribes represent cosmic time and distance. The number of men and their centuries in the 21 tribes in 495 BC indicates the position of Venus. The planet Venus has an eight year cycle and rises five times (synodic cycle) and sets five times. The eight year cycle, when multiplied by its rising and setting times amounts to 40 rising and 40 settings. The 40 rising equates to the 40 centuries of iuniores and the 40 setting equates to the 40 centuries of seniores. The rest of the classes are degrees in relation to the zodiac. When the time frame of one god (orbit) is up, it is replaced by another god, and because of this new orbit, the Roman system is adjusted to bring the tribes in line with the new mathematics. After all the gods have ruled, the cycle begins again. Now this takes centuries and the tribal system represents one tenth of the universal system.

Florus, in his introduction to his Epitome, writes that Rome after 400 years conquered it immediate neighbours in its infancy, then as a youth conquered Italy (150 years). Up to the time of Augustus, this was Rome’s manhood. Although appearing cryptic, behind Florus’ chronology is the standard mathematical ratios used by the Romans and Greeks. Some modern historians (1930’s) have found the structure of some ancient Roman writers follow these same mathematical ratios, but as usual, their insights failed to gain wider acceptance and are now mainly forgotten. Returning to Florus, his chronology matches the changes in the constellations. The Romans have divided the heavens in two parts, upper and lower. The change from infancy to youth, heralds leaving the lower heaven and entering the upper heaven. This alters the tribes and therefore the legion’s organisation. This means Venus has moved away. The next significant event is the transformation from youth to manhood. The Roman cosmos is calculated for 2000 years (753 BC to 1247 AD), and the traditional date of Rome’s founding in 753 BC as given by Livy is correct on numerous occasions. This cosmos system is based on alternating intervals of 12 month years and 13 month years, that is a 360 day year and a 390 day year. Later the intercalation was set in the fifth year which coincides with the lustrum. A figure of 360 days per year is the religious calendar that replicates the 360 degrees of the zodiac.

The Romans, like other ancient civilizations, believe by adhering to the cosmos they are at one with the gods. The Roman cosmos has its roots in Babylonian astronomy, which is common knowledge. Therefore, this system dictates the legion cannot be greater than 60 centuries, and because of harmonic 35 (an ancient term), the number of tribes can never exceed 35. Any number above this and the system will not work. All 35 tribes must be created before Rome’s period of youth expires, and this means the Romans have a tribal timetable to follow. However, because the completion of the tribes occurs in youth, on entering manhood, the tribes are increased to bring them in line. Another fascinating aspect of all this is the Roman age system seems to backfire on them. By Florus time Rome is in old age, in fact one age after the Etruscan death age, yet it has a system designed to take it to 1247 AD. So what happens if Rome believes itself to be old and useless? I have been lately picking up references of their forthcoming doom.

Plotinus (1 Chapter 12) “A thousand years had passed over the city. It had risen from the dimension of a few huts, familiar with labour and poverty, to be the mistress of the world. From the stage of conquest it had passed to that of luxury. Philosophers and moralists had already seen that the foundations were sapped, and were able to speak with certainty of the near approach of its doom; but to the multitude it seemed as if the Roman people were about to enter on a new, and even a more glorious stage of existence.”

There are other references to the Romans believing in a forthcoming doom. A friend made the comment it possibly contributed to the rise of Christianity. Seems there is another story waiting to be told, but I’m not that person. So where is the book at? Well taking the advice of Professor Ridley and now Phil Sidnell, it's time to stop the research, and frankly, I am at the end of my tether after years of number crunching. There is more to explore with the Roman cosmos system, but I don't have the expertise required in astronomy and astronomical mathematics, which is frightening to comprehend. So I am polishing the book now.

Steven James

Footnote
Some names are Firmicus Maternus, Hippocrates, Diogenes Laertius, Geminus, Censorinius, Boethius, Iamblichus, Cicero, Macrobius, Plato, Aristotle, Pliny, Ptolemy, Plutarch, Nicomachus, Strabo, Eratosthenes, Plotinus, Philo, Martianus Capella, Theon, Hesiod, Florus, Ovid, Virgil, Aristoxenus, Dicaearchus, Eudemus, Porphyry, Philolaus, Varro, Plotinus, Columella, Archytas, Euclid, Horace, Proclus and Cleomedes.
Well, that was unexpected.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Well, that was unexpected.
Ever the diplomat, David. :|
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
The previous article has officially be condoned by the league of

[Image: druids_stonehenge.jpg]

And by their companions :

[Image: Three_female_druids.jpg]

The reaction of the Roman authorities after long debate was:

[Image: Crucifixion.JPG]

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:The reaction of the Roman authorities after long debate was:
[Image: Crucifixion.JPG]
"Gaius laughed maniacally as he began wrapping Demetrius in cold, wet spaghetti."
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Certain ratios of the dimensions of the Great Pyramid coincide with the diameter of a wine amphora AND a beer can! And as we all know, correlation proves causality...
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Nothing good is going to come out of this. I welcome attempts to convince me otherwise via PM. For now, this thread is locked.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine