• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eagle in the Snow
Pompeius... I am like you. This is the greatest of Roman fiction books....<br>
<br>
Author Wallace Breem<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hi,<br>
<br>
alright then - I will buy this come payday on Wednesday. Reading Scarrow's 2nd at the moment - thoroughly enjoyed the first.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Muzzaguchi <p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Hi,<br>
<br>
Fantastic! Just finished the novel and I would advise everyone to read it. Now I have to track down his other two novels - The Leagte's daughter and the Leopard and the Cliff.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Murray <p></p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
After much waiting I have finally managed to secure a copy (now in print in the UK by Phoenix press) from my local bookshop. Even though I am only half way through, I have to say it is one of the most readable novels I have ever read, regardless of the genre.<br>
<br>
Breem writes with an easy, approachable style and you can almost hear the voice of the narrator as you read. His description of life on Hadrian's Wall seems utterly believeable and realistic and I know what he means when he describes the harshness of the wind up there!<br>
<br>
The book also manages to convey the feeling of anarchy, despair and chaos at the time when the empire was in retreat and fast fading and the reader quickly sheds all ideas of the "glory of Rome" so often portrayed in other works, especially in films.<br>
<br>
I think this book will appeal to those with an in-depth knowledge of the Roman world, as well as those with a more passing interest, so if you can get a copy, I urge you to. <p></p><i></i>
Sounds very interesting.<br>
In what period does the story take place? <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
The main character starts as an officer on Hadrians Wall in the 360's and the main story is about his efforts as commander of Legio XX to hold back the barbarian cross-Rhine invasion in December of 406.<br>
<br>
It was the only flaw that bothered me about the book. He would have to be a very old legate probably in his 60's by the time of those battles.<br>
<br>
The author invents his own organization for the legion. Otherwise it is one of the best books of the genre and I highly recommend it. <p></p><i></i>
In fairness to Breem, the classic structure of the legions became increasingly eroded towards the end of the Roman occupation of Britain and many corners were cut as resources became more scarce and corruption got worse.<br>
<br>
Then again, point taken about the age of the general and it made me think a bit, but we have to allow for a bit of artistic licence. By having such an aged general who remembers "the good old days", it allows comparisons to be drawn in the book which adds to the flavour.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
I haven't read the book, but there are examples of officers with extremely long stints of service attested.<br>
<br>
An example from late Roman times:<br>
<br>
<em>CIL</em> 5, 6213<br>
<br>
B(onae) m(emoriae) | Derdio ex tribuno militavit ann(os) | XL int(er) Iovianos sen(iores) vixit ann(os) LXXV | req(uiescit) XVI Kal(endas) Ian(uarias) memori(am) sibi et | uxori suae Gaudentiae fecit<br>
<br>
'To the good memory. To Derdius, former tribune. He has served 40 years among the <em>Ioviani seniores</em>, he has lived 75 years. He passed away 16 days before the kalends of January. He has made the memorial for himself and his wife Gaudentia'<br>
<br>
Age and term of service may have been rounded to the nearest multiple of five, as is common in inscriptions.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
According to the publishers, a new copy of Breem's book will be published in April of this year in anticipation of a movie based on the book. The movie will have Maximus (from Gladiator) as the main chararcter.<br>
<br>
search.barnesandnoble.com...0118&itm=2<br>
<br>
or<br>
<br>
www.amazon.com/exec/obido...ce&s=books <p></p><i></i>
Thanatos28 - I think you've got your wires crossed a bit as the Maximus in Eagle In The Snow is definitely not the same character as the Maximus in Gladiator - seperated by a couple of hundred years.<br>
<br>
However, I've heard that a Gladiator sequel is being planned and given Hollywood's tendency to rewrite history (a debate in itself), I wouldn't be surprised to see Maximus rise from the grave, live for another couple of hundred years and then defeat the Germanic hordes all over again! Oh, and he'll get the girl this time too! <p></p><i></i>
Yeah I realize that the timelines are wrong, Gladiator took place in 180 AD (?) and Eagle in the Snow took place in the 4th or 5th century AD. I'm just passing on the info as it is... But hey its not reality, it's Hollywood. <p></p><i></i>
I'm just not finding this book...all "Out of print".<br>
Chomping at the bit for the reprint!<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
The book has a character named Maximus. It is not an un-common name. Other similar historical names included Maximinus and Maxentius. A new hardback edition will be released in June, 2003.<br>
If you can't wait until then you might try inter-library loan if you are in the USA. <p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, 1987</p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
The print run must have been small: I just bought the book in November. It appears to be available at Amazon.UK, and looks like a hardcover reprint is due later in 2003 in the UK. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
haHA!<br>
After an adventure of driving I found one (1) copy in the Portland OR area. $15 + about $10 in gas. Borders Books! Found the copy while in the store on the other end of town from there. So far it's excellent.<br>
<br>
Picked up that and October Horse (and a book on the Later Roman Army and one on Roman Britain.)<br>
<br>
Caius Livius Germanicus <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eagle in the Snow jonwr 13 3,026 03-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Last Post: qcarr
  Eagle in the Snow Anonymous 2 914 07-17-2003, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Anonymous
  Eagle in the Snow mcbishop 1 1,123 09-02-2002, 11:25 AM
Last Post: richsc