Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I, Caesar
I do not have a television, but I remember the BBC TV series "I, Caesar". If I recall correctly, there is one part on Constantine, in which a famous British professor (Keith Hopkins perhaps?) explained all kinds of trivialities. My girlfriend, sitting next to me on the coach, said: "Well, that's what I learned at school - have those great historians nothing better to say?"

Lovely sarcasm, and a bit exaggerated. Nevertheless, she had a point. If, say, Stephen Hawking would be explaining some basic physics on TV, I'd be tempted to ask why science budgets are so incredibly high.

Next month, I have to lecture on popular scholarship, and I want to use that fragment of "I, Caesar" to illustrate what can go wrong. This type of talk can better be left to students, while the really big scholars ought to be on TV only when they have really something important to tell.

The trouble is that I do not have this on video or DVD. Is there someone who has, and who can make a screen capture of this professor telling about Constantine?

Thanks.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Jona,

It seems that Youtube has only the first episode, about Gaius Julius, on line. Of course, the complete series is available from Amazon.

However...

You can download individual episodes from this site:

http://www.torrentreactor.net/torrents/ ... man-Empire

I can not vouch for the efficacy or reliability of this site, nor offer a judgement on the should you/could you/would you of downloading from this or any other site.

:|

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Hmmm...just being nosey and opened the link and all sorts of warnings and error reports flashed up! Was it just me??? Bit of a shame as I havent seen any of these programmes.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Indeed!

That is exactly why I approach all download sites with caution, be it MP3 or video or whatever.

It really is too bad as the series seems to have received some good reviews.

I have checked both iTunes and Amazon and neither offers downloads. (iTunes does have an I, Caesar game ...). Netflix does have it for rental, however I doubt that will be of any use to members of this Forum living outside of the US.

Now, there are these sites:

http://www.mytvblog.org/?p=212

http://get-rapidshare.com/tag/julius-ca ... apidshare/

It would seem that this series is all over the net, but again Caution should be the watch word.

Then too, we have not even discussed the moral issues of downloading.

I have put this series on my Amazon list, though in this current economy it will have to wait for better days.

:oops:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I would expect to pay for a download...but not if it was illegal at source! Big Grin

Think I'll trawl Amazon too. I found the 1960s Ceasars British Independent Television (ITV) production that way (although they included Sejanus as an emperor Confusedhock: ) and it was very enjoyable with a nice change of perspective for Tiberius.

Sorry, I digress...
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I don't know about "I, Caesar" but Keith Hopkins appears in this documentary, about 7:45 into this particular clip.
Quote:I don't know about "I, Caesar" but Keith Hopkins appears in this documentary, about 7:45 into this particular clip.
THANKS! This was what I was looking for. I confused the two series. Thanks, thanks, thanks.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Sure.... but I liked that documentary. Sad