Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latin as she is translatificated
For those of you worrying about the imminent takeover of the machines, perhaps piqued by those self-righting police spy-in-the-sky quadcopters, Google have now added Latin to their Translate service. In case you are worried that we are all about to end up as batteries running the Googleplex, I present to you Vegetius' Epitoma Rei Militaris III,8 as rendered by this new service. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Especially if you intend to go FORAGING... or are engaged in adportet...

Quote:8. It follows, it seems, or a journey described the observance of, to the of the camp, in which we must remain, to come to reason. For it is not in time of war or a mansion to the camp, collecting the city of walled always before him, and off his guard and full of danger, the army is at random, without any fortification be seated, with the soldiers to eat a meal taken possession of, to be done to the offices of the dispersed nectar is easily laid an ambush for the obscurity of the night, and finally, the necessity of sleep, and with the scattering of the feeding of the horses an opportunity superuentibus does good. In the camp, is not sufficient to measure out a good place to read, but for this it is, as the other was him there is no better can be found, lest the vengeance of from us, and have omitted from his opponents engaged in adportet be in straits. One must be careful also, not to during the summer, or diseased in the next, or the water is longer than it wholesome, in winter, do not be wanting to FORAGING or the wood, lest a sudden storm ground on which to spend the night is, is wont to inundari, lest there should be broken off by pathless jungle, and were set, and difficult to be given in his opponents went out, and not from the higher ground, released from the weapons the enemy had been beforehand in him. To whom cautiously and eagerly provided, or the needs of place for the sum of the squares or triangles or a round or oblong he established a camp, nor prejudice the benefit of form, yet that are believed to have more beautiful which a free space of the breadth of the length of the third part of it is added. And thus said the measures from the agrimensoribus podismum be concluded it is necessary that concluded "to the quantity of the army. For the defenders of the narrow constipant was agreed and the wider, more than the diffuse. But by what means the definition of the tribes of the camp to be able to be fortified with. The first place, in the oneness of the night by the way of the passage of its occupation is lighter by, were taken away with the turf and are ordered and they make up a mount, on which the rampart, that is, of thistles of wood, in order, digested. The greensward, but circumcised in the iron tools, who on roots, contains "the earth, is made a highly a half, the side of the foot, the feet and a half long. But if the land has been thus loosened,, as in the likeness of the side couch of turf, it can not be to cut off, then the work of a hastily beaten to a ditch, and five feet wide, the lofty three, to whom the material for a rampart increases to the inside, so that easy to rest without the fear of the army. Auten standing camp is the camp in the summer or in winter, and the enemy were near to and greater anxiety, and effort to confirm it. For each of the centuries, divided campidoctoribus and on the principles, they take "pedaturas and their shields, and his baggage or in a circle around their own signs of having been arranged, with the sword, girt in a wide open up the pit, or nine, or eleven or thirteen feet, or, if greater than the force of the enemy, the fearsome consequence is, his feet by ten and seven, that - For an odd habit it is to be observed in the number of -, then the hedges or the interposition of having been drawn with stakes and white wool and branches of trees, lest the land be easy to drop out, is lifted up with material for a rampart; and upon whomsoever it like a wall, and to the wings, and the bulwarks of conponuntur. The work, however, the captains of hundreds sole standard of value poles ten feet long, dig a pit, not less than, or of any arrauerit are cowards, and the captains, neither before the go about the leave, who are energetic, than there were in the whole of perfect. Yet, to prevent a person suffering from superuentus be done, part of the whole of the cavalry and infantry, which does not work, the privilege of high position, in readiness for a ditch and the pressure of an armed consists drove away the enemies of Israel. Therefore, the first signs of their places, they are assumed to within the camp, because nothing is the venerable majesty of their soldiers to be executed and his companions, is prepared for the hall, to the captains tents are billeted with which, through comrades assigned to the work piece of wood to the offices of the water, and food supply. Then for the degree of the legions and the auxiliaries, the cavalry and the infantry to the places in which they tend to butterflies, are counted for the camp, and each accompanied by four out of every century, each accompanied by four horsemen, and the guards on foot at night they do. And because it seemed impossible on the watch and every one to continue watching, for that reason in the four parts they were to separate my time are by want of sleep, that it no longer than three hours of the night it is necessary to watch. A accompanied by a trumpeter, and all are committed to by want of sleep from the hours of the end of the trumpeters were recalled. tribunes, however, fit and excellent they choose, make the rounds of want of sleep and bring back a report, if any should emerge fault, circumitores whom to call in, now is the step of military service was made circitores and it is called. It should be noted, however, that the cavalry of the watch of the night, outside the rampart have to do. But by day, having pitched his camp, and to another early in the morning for the sake of others in succession the south of exhaustion of men and horses land and they do. Among his principal to provide the dukes assembled, or in the camp or in the city stand still, goes the pasture of the living creatures, and other sorts of subuectio of corn, fresh water comes from a secure FORAGING was getting restored to the attack of the enemy 's. Because it is different it can not do fall out, except through the suitable places, by which the supplies of our walks, the protectors are set out, or those cities or villages, they are walled cities of. But if it is not found the defenses of the ancient, convenient places surrounded by the larger villages, and strengthened with an irregular ditches. For diminutiuo call from the camp are to be named the towns. Inside which the distribution of land and not a few are in the horse and foot soldiers who are living them a safe passage visiting you on duty. It is difficult for the place by the enemy approached the AGREE WITH dares to, in which from his forehead, and on the back he has known opponents to abide with.

Of course, real fun is to be had by translating this back into Latin, then into English again... but then life's too short.

Mike 'and on the back he has known opponents to abide with' Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
We must, I See, add the Butterfly Tending drill to the TACTICA drill manual. Big Grin
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Mike, you obviously forgot to use "real Latin" instead of "political speech Latin". You could read that two or three times and come away with less knowledge than you had when you arrived at the keyboard.... :| ? roll:
:lol:
Now back to the paperless office.
(note to self, order more printer paper today...)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I only made it through 4 lines, and I think I sprained my brain! But the quadcopter is cool, if a bit SkyNet-ish.

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
[Image: 1237094631_a26c1ae154.jpg]

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Erm..."jungle"??? Confusedhock:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Hey, lets not do fall out over this! or we may well end up 'circumcised in the iron tools' Confusedhock: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Hey, lets not do fall out over this! or we may well up 'circumcised in the iron tools' Confusedhock: :lol:

Because it is different it can not do fall out, except through the suitable places... :?

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:1v9ba9zz Wrote:Hey, lets not do fall out over this! or we may well up 'circumcised in the iron tools' Confusedhock: :lol:
Because it is different it can not do fall out, except through the suitable places... :?
The 'suitable place' being:
Quote:the sum of the squares or triangles or a round or oblong he established a camp, nor prejudice the benefit of form, yet that are believed to have more beautiful which a free space of the breadth of the length of the third part of it is added
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Uhhh, yeah! What he said.... :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Couldn't resist: romanes eunt domus
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Hmmm, seems to work quite well from english to latin, and back! Tongue
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel