Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SUMERIAN, EGYPTIAN, HITTITE groups??
Hey gang,<br>
<br>
Anybody ever seen any truly ancient groups [says sheepishly] 'out there'? Ive seen some Greek folks, but never come across any groups prior to roughly 600BC.<br>
<br>
If this is true, my question is why? Is it because ancient mid-east groups would kinda-sorta require a bit more, shall I say, slightly darker ethnicity? Or, does it tend to be an issue of money...living history aint cheap nowadays....Or, is it simply an matter of cultural interest...i.e., if you live in a less than developed country, whats the point of reenacting the past when you are struggling to catch up with the present...know what I mean? Oh, Im not trying to incite any flame wars, just curious.<br>
<br>
H<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
That's an interesting question. I can't say I've ever heard of any. Freemasonry, maybe? E EM<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
In Legio IX Hispana we have two fellows myself included who are missing digits. Perhaps we could form a Cro-Magnon cave wall artist group!<br>
<br>
Hibernicus<br>
Legio IX Hispana ® <p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Hibernicus, you fellas sound more like members of Bar Kokhba's rebel force who, legend has it, were required to bite off a finger (I think the tip of the pinky) as a test of loyalty and toughness. A later century than the focus of this topic, but the right affliction. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/uthecaesarionsection.showPublicProfile?language=EN>The Caesarion Section</A> at: 9/7/01 4:38:12 am<br></i>
hmm, I just wish I could see an Egyptian in full scale or a Sumerian warlord or something really Biblical..."wrath of God type stuff"<br>
H <p></p><i></i>
Perhaps it's lack of knowledge. I think it's unfortunate, for those civilizations are very fascinating & it would do well to re-enact them.<br>
<br>
There's a recent study that a lot of the Ancient Egyptians were caucasian, & not black. Kinda makes things interesting, dont you think? <p></p><i></i>
Hey, I'll do bronze age stuff! I've already got Mycenaean linen greaves, and I've been lusting after the 3 bronze Mycenaean swords that Albion Armorers has. Got plenty of bronze sheet for some armor, if I can figure out how I want to make it. A figure-8 shield would be REALLY cool, too, but will not fit into my tiny house. I'm considering a boars tusk helmet.<br>
<br>
Probably the reason no one does these periods is that there simply is not as much information about them. It's not just a popularity thing (though that's part of it), but you simply don't have the enormous number of sites and artifacts that you do for Roman or later periods. Egyptian stuff is actually pretty well-documented, because of those little models of soldiers that turn up in tombs, as well as the artifacts and lots of good artwork. There's probably enough info available to do a basic impression that's reasonably close, but not much in the way of background info like unit designations, personalities, etc. Popularity would go up if there were books like "Ur and Sumer at War", "Babylonian Military Equipment", "Arms and Armour of Imperial Assyria", that sort of thing. But judging by the small (if enthusiastic) response generated by my Greek Hoplite website (www.larp.com/hoplite/index.html), going even farther back in time is not going to generate a large group. Hey, Phillistines would be cool--sit around in camp and insult anything that's popular! And hit the deck when someone yells "SLING!"<br>
<br>
When I've had enough of HISTORICAL reenacting, I turn to PRE-history: the Ice Man! I've already made his belt and learned to make grass cord, and have a chunk of flint, some deer and goat hides, and scrap copper lying ready for my next mood swing. It can be done, and it SHOULD be! Just be prepared to be an "army of one".<br>
<br>
Matthew/Quintus/Aelfric/Mathaios/Oetzi/whatever... <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
You mean you haven't read *Bronze Age Warfare* by Richard Osgood and Sarah Monks (with Judith Toms)? I quote from the Oxbow website:<br>
<br>
"What was warfare like in the Bronze Age? What weapons were used? How did people defend themselves, their houses and their property? These are just some of the questions addressed in this new study on warfare in Bronze Age Europe. Each chapter focuses on a particular region - northern and western Europe, Spain, central and eastern Europe, Italy, the Aegean - and presents the archaeological evidence for settlement, fortifications, weapons, armour, skeletal remains and iconography, drawing this evidence together to form an interpretation of warfare practices. `A vivid and fascinating survey of a key aspect of human activity that shaped society and behaviour in ancient Europe'. 165p, b/w pls and figs (Sutton 2000)"<br>
<br>
Go see for yourselves:<br>
<br>
www.oxbowbooks.com/bookin...2&ID=28025<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
when I was in Holland I saw a Dutch newspaper article which showed that the iceman was murdered.<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
If you read Mario Puzzo's first work dealing with organized crime in the Ice Age (The Coldfather), you will see that it wasn't really murder, but the first pre-historical hit. (Not personal, Sonny, only business)<br>
<br>
His original line, "He sleeps with the frozen peas," never really took off. Hence the term, "to be put on ice." <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=tiberius>Tiberius</A> at: 9/9/01 12:09:25 am<br></i>
Of course the Ancient (and most modern) Egyptians were Caucasian!<br>
<br>
Of course, they would have had tan-ish skin... darker than an Anglo-Saxon.<br>
<br>
Technically speaking, "Caucasian" doesn't refer only to Europeans. Natives of the North African coastal nations, the Middle East, and India are all part of the "Caucasianoid" group.<br>
<br>
How about some Ancient Chinese or Japanese Yamato era units? E EM<br>
<br>
I'd like to see a "World War BC" reenacted. <p>-Quintus Constantius, Praetorian Prefect and Consul of Rome</p><i></i>
By caucasian I meant Anglo-Saxon. And surprisingly, if one would look at Ancient Egyptian art, some examples may attest to this. <p></p><i></i>
The Egyptians, sumerians, Mycenaeans, etc are members of the Mediterranean branch of the caucazoid family. Of these the egyptians are the darkest, their modern representatives are the berbers. They werent "black", and werent "white".............are the Iranians "caucasian", how about the Azerbijani? Moroccans? <p></p><i></i>
Don't forget the Aliens groups(iron age): you know, could be interesting to re-enact four arms , three legs,<br>
scale-skinned soldiers (early republican period)..., they used two shields at the same time!<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Ualete,<br>
<br>
Titus Sabatinus Aquilius<br>
<br>
P.S. and the Klingons? <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Avete!<br>
Staying up too late, Titus, or reading David Drake again, hee hee! And don't go dissing the Klingons, or I'll have to get out my batleth!<br>
<br>
Got infected with the Bronze Age bug again, recently, having found out that a fellow in England has a full reconstruction of the Dendra panoply. It is REALLY COOOOOOLLLLL.... So I'm fixing to grind the excess weight off the Del Tin Mycenaean sword that I got for my birthday, I'll get a couple boars' tusks from Moscow Hide and Fur, and there's a book with all the info on the Dendra stuff. Wicker and hide shield, new pair of shoes, etc. I'm building a Bronze Age page to add to my Hoplite site, it'll go up when I get a couple more photos and some real progress to add to it. What I end up with will probably be a pastiche of several different places and centuries, from 1400 BC to about 1000 BC. But who knows?<br>
<br>
Of course, in a couple weeks my hand-forged gladius hispaniensis blade will arrive, and my mood may swing back to the Roman Republic. So gotta work fast!<br>
<br>
Ka'plach (or however the heck they spell that),<br>
<br>
Matthew <p></p><i></i>
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why no Egyptian Reenactment groups? Magnus 34 9,001 09-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  Sumerian Chariot Warrior 2500 B.C. Johnny Shumate 8 1,658 03-27-2007, 02:24 PM
Last Post: Josef