Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help wanted please
Hi All,
Its been a long time since I was last here but cant wait to see what Ive missed. Anyway, Iam trying to re-form my old Gladiator group but need some help sourcing a few items.

Can anyone please tell me where I can get the correct "battle ready " Gladius for arena displays here in the UK ? and where to get items like a trident, Galerus ?

Any help would be great,

Thank you,

Julius.
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
Barring custom made, as far as I know, Deepeeka has the only (brass) galerus. I don't know how sturdy these are, if hit with metal blades...of course, the idea is NOT to be hit, isn't it?

Most all of the tridents I've seen are too wide to match the museum specimens.

Google "galerus replica" and see the list of interesting results!
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Its mainly the swords Iam after.

Thanks Demetrius.
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
Gladiatorial gladii (sounds strange) were shorter than a standard military issue. Perhaps one of the latter could be shortened by a smith or other metal worker. Shouldn't be that much of a problem to do. Retarii, of course, didn't carry gladii, just a dagger.

In the end, there's just not that much out there for gladiator as compared with soldier gear. (compared "to"? I never get that right.)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
What are the alternatives to useing metal swords ? When I had the group before we always used battle ready swords for the " Ching " effect ( shame I never kept them ) but would the effect be the same useing wood or needle felt ? or is there something else to use ?

Julius.
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
Hmm. Tomayto, tomahto, if you're asking me.

It's up to the user to decide that. I don't get much practice any more, so I'd opt for needledfelt. Mistakes are less dangerous that way. But that's a decision that would be the underpinning of the group's identity. The audience, once they know you're not using really real sharp deadly edges, will likely accept whatever you decide. Safety first, no matter what.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
for the swords, see my post in the gladiatoral area, as you asked it there also. As for the galerus. For the cheap I think the Deepeeka one is fine. We use these for the fight and it will be okay for about one season, after which it has to be replaced. A better one is available from Historical reproductions in Germany. They have a nice design after an original from Pompeii and is really sturdy made. For a trident I would repeat my advice on swords, get them custom made. Other alternative is the nice one from Historical Reproductions, which is based after the one in the museum of London.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thank you both.
Julius Verax
Timetalkers

( AKA Paul )
Sale on linen going on now. Use this link to get to it. 10% off, but I don't know about shipping outside the US. Below from their email ad:
Quote:Our finest linen available. Beauty, quality and elegance make IL020 perfect for women and men's clothing, reenactment costumes, embroidered bedding, curtains and sleepwear.

http://www.fabrics-store.com/first.php? ... 1&printed=
Of course, they have other weights and colors, but beware the really bright colors, as they are probably not representative of natural, ancient dyes. I don't work for these guys, but I've always been satisfied with linen purchased from them. Here in the US, good linen is hard to find at the fabric stores.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Here in the US, good linen is hard to find at the fabric stores.
I haven't even found bad linen in stores. *Always* have to order it, usually online.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Every once in a while, there's a few bolts of linen down here in Texas. Mostly, the "linen" has probably never been within a hundred miles of a flax plant. It's usually made of cotton or cotton/polyester blend. Looks sorta the same, but it's not.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.