Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where\'s the best place to get a 3rd/4th Century Spatha
Thanks! That's a seriou ouch!

Luckily my mare is a polo pony so she is used to me waving wooden things around her head. The pointy bit may change her mind though!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Thanks! That's a seriou ouch!

Luckily my mare is a polo pony so she is used to me waving wooden things around her head. The pointy bit may change her mind though!

Sharp or blunt?
What degree of authenticity (starting at 'looks okay from 10 yards' to 'hand forged and pattern welded from iron ore sourced from roman mines')

Lots of options and I can suggest some good UK sword makers that can help you, Vindex/Moi/Soli :wink:
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Quote:...Soli :wink:

Confusedhock:

Grassed!!! Big Grin

I think it is an expenditure which I can't justify at the moment as the horsebox needs an MOT this month too <sigh> but I'll will contact you again if I may when I have some pennies assembled which are not "booked" for something else! (Looks as if I'll be saving a couple of hundred quid by not going to the RAT Conference!! Big Grin )
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:But there are some other places to go (but also not that cheap), like Erik Konig or Pierpaolo Siercovich (Munazio Planco here on RAT).

I have a gladius made from Pierpaolo (Munazio) and his prices are definitely not expensive, recommended! I`m sure he would make an affordable and good quality late roman spatha if asked...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I need a good pattern for a 4th-5th c. spatha (mine is 3rd c.). I just can't seem to find a good one or make a choice... :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I need a good pattern for a 4th-5th c. spatha (mine is 3rd c.). I just can't seem to find a good one or make a choice... :wink:

Me too! In fact it is very difficult to pinpoint a clear representative of a 4th-5th c. spatha. I have not been able to find a good example from Christian Mik`s "opus magnum". One thing is clear, 4th-5th c. blades were longer than usually thought (from 75 to 90cm!). Could it be that the lack of a good representative is after all somehow linked to the "barbarization" of the roman army and this lack is an evidence of the diminishing of uniformity on weapons too?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
why are they so expensive!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

you can get loads of gladii swords but practicly no spatha's or there so expensive there just not a option.

there could be a gap for a buisness there. making reasonably priced but quallity spatha's.

S
sacha
Quote:why are they so expensive!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

you can get loads of gladii swords but practicly no spatha's or there so expensive there just not a option.

there could be a gap for a buisness there. making reasonably priced but quallity spatha's.

Deepeeka has spathae. So you can get a spatha in the Deepeeka gladius price range too. Actually, I don't see the difference. If you let a good craftsman make a gladius it will be as expensive as a spatha. And what is reasonably prices. I certainly think Erik Konig, Patrik Bartha etc price their stuff reasonably. But they live in Europe, which is expensive compared to India, and they make real nice stuff, the correct way. It's just what you pay for. I actually think the price/quality ratio on a Patrick Barta or Erik Konig sword actually is much better as for a Deepeeka one. But yeah, that doesn't say it isn't a lot of money, of course.
ALA I BATAVORUM
armae are alright

http://www.armae.com/Zenglish/greek_and ... _frame.htm
sacha
http://www.armart.antiquanova.com/Roman.htm

these are great but i think i might have to raid my piggy bank!
sacha
Quote:armae are alright

http://www.armae.com/Zenglish/greek_and ... _frame.htm

These are the Deepeeka ones referred to above, and their spatha are not that great. Way to heavy.

Quote:http://www.armart.antiquanova.com/Roman.htm

Nice blades, but I think the scabbard are to simple and I'm not sure if this really is what he needs. I think a ringpommel one is just to early and the later one on the bottom is to late already.
ALA I BATAVORUM
i havn't handled the deepeeka ones. do the blades break easily?
sacha
Quote:i havn't handled the deepeeka ones. do the blades break easily?

Some of their older ones did, but I really think you should not use them for such. They are nice as a 'wall-ornament' or display piece, but they are to haevy to handle and certainly not battle-ready.
ALA I BATAVORUM
what do you use?
sacha
Quote:i havn't handled the deepeeka ones. do the blades break easily?

The biggest problem with the Deepeeka blades is that they have weak rat-tail welded-on tangs...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  4th Century Spatha Dimensions Gerontius 9 4,242 03-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Kai