Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Book from Dando-Collins: Great Fire of Rome
Great, I am running low on toilet paper!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ok, so I was considering buying "Legions of Rome: The Definitive History of Every Roman Legion" by this author, cause it had good reviews and it seemed to be divided in what I wanted to learn about the legions...

Quote:Part 1 provides a detailed account of what the legionaries wore and ate, what camp life was like, what they were paid and how they were motivated and punished. The section also contains numerous personal histories of individual soldiers. Part 2 offers brief unit histories of all the legions that served Rome for 300 years from 30BC. Part 3 is a sweeping chronological survey of the campaigns in which the armies were involved, told from the point of view of particular legions.

...when I read a review saying it was bad and pointing to this site, to learn more about the author and his mistakes. I obviously see he's not the most popular author here :grin:, so I was wondering:

1 - Is the book really that bad, for a mild approach to the theme? I mean, I've been reading Simon Scarrow's books and really want to know more about the legions and the Roman army but for now I don't want to go into a massively detailed book that might become a bit boring. I want something serious but that might work like an introduction to this theme, like a general picture, without going into an academic level of reading that might scare me off.

2 - Having what I said in mind and if you really think this book isn't even appropriated for that, can someone please recommend some titles?

Thank you in advance.
André
This is a bit of a change of topic, but here's a quick answer:

Quote:I want something serious but that might work like an introduction to this theme, like a general picture, without going into an academic level of reading that might scare me off... can someone please recommend some titles?

Sounds like this is the sort of thing you want:

Goldsworthy- The Complete Roman Army

It's been criticised for a few errors and a lack of footnotes, but that shouldn't bother you. Generally it's a good soup-to-nuts coverage, and has lots of illustrations, diagrams etc.

There's also this one:

McNab - The Roman Army

which is based on the popular Osprey series of books. Again, a well illustrated general survey.

I doubt many people here have actually read Dando-Collins' 'Legions of Rome' - his previous books have been enough to put most people off. He makes lots of basic mistakes, and alters history to suit his own particular notions, but his worst habit is making things up and pretending them to be fact, or even 'new research' that he alone has uncovered...
Nathan Ross
Quote:Ok, so I was considering buying "Legions of Rome: The Definitive History of Every Roman Legion" by this author, cause it had good reviews...
really :?: Confusedhock:
** Vincula/Lucy **
I second the recommendation for The Complete Roman Army by Adrian Goldsworthy.

This is an excellent book by one of the leading scholars of Roman history, military or otherwise.

If you are not familiar with Goldsworthy you might want to pick up his biography of Julius Caesar (Caesar - Life Of A Colossus) or his double bio published last year (Antony And Cleopatra).

Goldsworthy's scholarship is solid and impeccable, while his writing is lively and fluid. It is not likely you will be either bored or overwhelmed by these books. Rather, you will be much better informed for having read them.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Another recommendation for Goldsworthy. I read his "Antony and Cleopatra". I am in the middle of his "Caesar...". He is eminently readable. I intend to work my way through all his stuff. I wish he would do for Greek history what he does for Roman history!
Cheryl Boeckmann
Quote:I intend to work my way through all his stuff.

That might take a while! He's recently turned into an historical novelist... Confusedhock:
Nathan Ross
Reportedly Goldsworthy's next work of non-fiction will be a biography of Hannibal.

Of course, this account should include lots of material about that other great figure from the Punic Wars: Scipio Africanus along with the other members of his distinguished family. (Or at least we can hope.)

Looking forward to that one.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Reportedly Goldsworthy's next work of non-fiction will be a biography of Hannibal.

Of course, this account should include lots of material about that other great figure from the Punic Wars: Scipio Africanus along with the other members of his distinguished family. (Or at least we can hope.)

Looking forward to that one.

Narukami

Sorry to disappoint people, but Goldsworthy's not working on a biography of Hannibal. He is actually working on a biography of Augustus. :!:

As for D-C's 'Great Fire', there is a review of the book here which I wrote last year.
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
D'oh!

I mean ... yes, Goldsworthy's next work of non-fiction will be a bio of Augustus Caesar. I'm looking forward to that one. :oops: :roll: :?

Actually, I am looking forward to that one.

Perhaps after that he will give us another duo-biography, this time of Hannibal and Scipio Africanus.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Thank you all for the input, I believe I shall pick The Complete Roman Army by Adrian Goldsworthy then.
André

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dando-Collins, \'Legions of Rome\' Carus Andiae 16 9,365 10-09-2018, 06:12 PM
Last Post: LupercusArchanus
Heart The catacombs of Rome: great source for clothing Robert Vermaat 3 3,167 03-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser
  Rome and parthia book Quintus Aurelius Lepidus 1 1,163 08-29-2013, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Nathan Ross