Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alésia and the longest circumvallation
Just coming back from Alésia, I am still impressed by the utter scale of the Roman circumvallation. Standing on top of the Mount Auxois and looking across the deep valley to the opposite mountain ridges far away where the Roman lines run, I got a true feeling of this monumental battle and the Roman knack for large scale organization and engineering.

Back at home, the books say the circumvallation was like 16 km and the contravallation 21 km long. This would be significantly longer than the longest city walls of antiquity (and perhaps all history), those of Classical Athens which ran something like 31 km. Obviously, it is apples and oranges, since most of the Roman lines consisted 'merely' of ditches, wooden palisades and earth ramparts, but still.

Do you happen to know of even longer circumvallations?
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Caesar tells his readers that the inner line ran for 11 miles (= 16km; BGall. 7.69) and the outer for 14 miles (= 20km; BGall. 7.74), but the actual distances on the ground are somewhat shorter (around 12km and 15km). Still an impressive feat, particularly given the lateral complexity of each line.

Both Pompey's and Caesar's works at Dyrrachium were fairly lengthy: Pompey had marked out a 15-mile circuit along the coast, so that Caesar was forced to build a 17-mile line to hem him in. But then, Caesar seems to have been fond of his earthworks -- keeps the boys busy!

By contrast, the siege-wall at Masada (usually considered to be an exceptional accomplishment) ran for 4.5km. Other Jewish War siege-walls are somewhat shorter, apart from Jerusalem itself, which allegedly ran for 39 stades (7.25km) -- no remains are known.

(I must admit that, during my siegecraft researches, it never occurred to me to compare and contrast circumvallation lengths!)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Attached the model in the Alésia museum.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:Attached the model in the Alésia museum.
Very nice. They have shown the recent(-ish) archaeological remains, rather than the usual Napoléonic version.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/