Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Penguin Plutarch
Today, I discovered that Penguin have launched a new publishing strategy for their Plutarch translations.

I purchased a copy of Plutarch on Sparta (2005), only to find that it is almost identical to my old Plutarch on Sparta (1988), except for a new introduction and the addition of the Life of Agesilaus (previously found in The Age of Alexander volume, 1973). Allegedly, Artaxerxes will be taking Agesilaus' place in the latter volume, once it receives its facelift.
(Oddly, Penguin's own web site doesn't seem to realise that this book exists!)

Also, they have issued a new edition of The Fall of the Roman Republic (2005; old edn. 1973), now with Plutarch's Comparison of Lysander and Sulla, Comparison of Nicias and Crassus, and Comparison of Demosthenes and Cicero.

And, most interesting of all, they have released a new selection entitled Rome in Crisis (2010). Unfortunately, their web site does not divulge the contents. (Hopefully, it is not simply a repackaging of the Makers of Rome volume, 1965.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:And, most interesting of all, they have released a new selection entitled Rome in Crisis (2010). Unfortunately, their web site does not divulge the contents. (Hopefully, it is not simply a repackaging of the Makers of Rome volume, 1965.)

Here's the blurb from amazon.com, which is a bit more forthcoming than the Penguin website (repeated by amazon.co.uk):

Quote:A mathematician and philosopher, Plutarch was also an acclaimed biographer and historian. Bringing together nine biographies from his Parallel Lives series, Rome in Crisis examines the lives of some of the most important people in the roman empire- Tiberius Gracchus, Gaius Gracchus, Sertorius, Lucullus, Younger Cato, Brutus, Antony, Galba, and Otho, a reckless young noble who consorted with the tyrannical, debauched emperor Nero before briefly becoming emperor himself. Each biography is preceded by an insightful introduction by the distinguished historian Christopher Pelling. Taken together, these portraits provide a wonderfully compelling picture of the ancient world.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:Here's the blurb from amazon.com, which is a bit more forthcoming than the Penguin website (repeated by amazon.co.uk):
Quote:... Bringing together nine biographies from his Parallel Lives series, Rome in Crisis examines the lives of some of the most important people in the roman empire- Tiberius Gracchus, Gaius Gracchus, Sertorius, Lucullus, Younger Cato, Brutus, Antony, Galba, and Otho, a reckless young noble who consorted with the tyrannical, debauched emperor Nero before briefly becoming emperor himself.
Aha -- so recycled Lives of the Gracchi, Sertorius, Brutus, and Antony (from Makers of Rome), and new ones of Lucullus, Cato, Galba and Otho. Good.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
New ones of Galba and Otho good....but I rather like my old Penguins. They are a bit dog eared by now so perhaps I can justify updating my library!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Was hat dich nur von uns entfernt?
Hab immer den Plutarch gelesen.
Was hast du denn dabei gelernt?
Sind alles auch nur Menschen gewesen.

- Goethe (recited by heart) :mrgreen:
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)