Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
post 1976 Vindonissa catalog?
I was noticing that the Vindonissa catalog (Katalog der Militaria aus Vindonissa by Christopher Unz and Eckhard Deschler-Erb)<br>
only lists objects found up until 1976. Have there been finds subsequent to that which have been published? <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc@romanarmytalk>RichSC</A> at: 12/13/02 12:56:13 pm<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Yes, but not all published in one place (dribs and drabs turning up here and there, mainly the *Jahresbericht der Gesellschaft Pro Vindonissa*). They are also (almost exclusively) from the fortress and civil settlement and the bulk of the early stuff came from the Schutthügel and that hasn't been touched since 1976. Also, bear in mind that the Big Yellow Book does not include the early finds in the Kantonal Antiquarium Aarau which were published by Unz in 1973.<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
So the big question is, will there ever be a 'ye olde big book o' Vindolanda:everything and anything you've always wanted to see but were too broke to fly across the big pond and check out on your own-- now in color!'? Heck, I'd make sure Washington University's library put that on their 'reference list items to buy' if I couldn't afford it myself....all 72 volumes of it.<br>
<br>
I keep hearing about the shoes and other (leather) items they find, but either they are written up briefly (with no pictures) in professional journals (both english and nonenglish), or they are mentioned in a news clipping that gives only just enough information to tease me....I know its hard to find the help and money to do stuff like this, so if it helps them out, I'll volunteer to be flown over there and take pictures of everything they have ... you know...because I'm such a nice guy and all. <br>
<br>
btw, Mike do you ever make book tours with your new releases? Especially in the States? I'm pretty sure I could find a few ppl who'd be willing to treat you like a rock star if you happened by the midwest anytime. But you'd have to bring that leaf!<br>
<br>
Uale!<br>
<br>
Britannicus<br>
<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=gaiusaquiliusbritannicus>Gaius Aquilius Britannicus</A> at: 1/10/03 10:55:53 pm<br></i>
Yes the CD on Vindolanda with all the shoes weapons keys tools and writing materials will be out shortly . I have seen it and it is all you need <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
<em>btw, Mike do you ever make book tours with your new releases? Especially in the States? I'm pretty sure I could find a few ppl who'd be willing to treat you like a rock star if you happened by the midwest anytime. </em><br>
<br>
ROTFL - my fleet of Armatura Press exec jets speeds me around the world to such signings... unless I decide to travel in JRMES 1, my specially converted 747 where half the staff wear white tunics, the other half red ;-)<br>
<br>
<em>But you'd have to bring that leaf!</em><br>
<br>
We are never separated...<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Actually Vindolanda (UK) and Vindonissa (Switzerland) are two different places. But publications from both are most welcome. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:<br>
<br>
ROTFL - my fleet of Armatura Press exec jets speeds me around the world to such signings... unless I decide to travel in JRMES 1, my specially converted 747 where half the staff wear white tunics, the other half red ;-)<br>
<br>
end quote<br>
<br>
<br>
Just as I thought, all you professional archaelogists/historians/academics lead plush lives! Must be a carry over from your previous lives as Tribunes and Senators! What's Harry Potter got on the MILLIONS that Roman historical authors bring in, right? No really, right? E EM<br>
<br>
<br>
Re: Vindolanda vs Vindonissa ... Doh! Free association is not a good thing, some days. Still, very glad to hear about a Vindolanda Cd coming out.<br>
<br>
You know, they *said* I learned how to read in kindergarden...they were obviously mistaken.<br>
<br>
Uale!<br>
<br>
Britannicus<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=gaiusaquiliusbritannicus>Gaius Aquilius Britannicus</A> at: 1/17/03 7:51:14 pm<br></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vindonissa Catalog Matthew Amt 9 3,298 01-24-2002, 07:12 PM
Last Post: mcbishop