Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greaves for Archers
I was recently told that greaves worn by archers are mismatched i.e. one shorter than the other, to allow for going down on one knee. Does anyone know of any evidence for this? Thanks a lot.
Sorry, first time I've heard that. I look forward to the evidence! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
It is an interesting question, what period are you refering to?

I could certainly be wrong, but I have not seen any images of an archer in a Greek context wearing greaves.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Greaves are good for stomping through the woods! :lol: I remember in WW1 that (British?) soldiers wore protective leggings. They aren't proper Greaves but would function the same way most likely. I too hope evidence is brought forth.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
What few illustrations I've seen about archers show basically, they're unarmored, unshielded, and carry a light sword, a bow and a quiver. The whole point of them is that they are NOT front line troops, and they don't need the extra weight. Their job is to help reduce the quantities of the other guys' troops...(and, of course, they don't stand up well to flanking cavalry attack).

I guess the Roman "Scythian" archers are a good exception, if our representations are correct. They seem to wear a light helmet and scale armor, but I don't know how general that armament was.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
In fact i can remember of at least three representatiopns of armoured archers off the top of my head. Two of them are aculptures from the Aphaia temple. One of them is Heracles and he's wearing cuirass and helmet but no greaves. He's kneeling. The other one is a titan and he's also wearing cuirass,helmet and greaves. He's also kneeling.
And there is a vase with a man with greaves and helmet and a bow. He's otherwise naked,but i think in the background there is also his shield. I don't have the photo in front of me at the moment.
In any case,there is no evidence for different greaves,and certainly hoplites could kneel with their greaves.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
A heavily armored Paris depicted as an archer appears in the "Toledo Krater" showing the fighting over dead Achiles body.
Members of of the "Hellenic horseback archery society" found no big difficulty shooting and wearing a corinthian helmet
but modern reconstructed greaves leave a lot to be desired,
Kind regards
Paris!!! I will look again through The Iliad. I know of a few references to archers but can't remember off hand if armor was mentioned.
Craig Bellofatto

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

And you'll find that Paris is as armoured as anybody else. But what does a homeric hero have to do with longer and shorter greaves? In fact,any greave before the 6th century wasn't long enough to cover the knee. You'll notice in the Chigi vase that the knees of the hoplites aren't covered and such greaves have been found. Mycenean greaves were even smaller,with only a linen cover all around the leg,including the knee. But this has nothing to do with archers specifically. It's just that to cover the knee and make a functional greave you need to imitate the anatomy of the leg perfectly. And this took time to be achieved.
That said,good modern reconstruction greaves can be used by hoplite re-enactors kneeling. So no point of making one shorter than the other. Especially since archers might not have kneeled more often than hoplites themselves.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
The 6th century saw the rise of the Phalanx right? Maybe the shorter greave was retained for archers,peltasts,etc.. The longer greave was (in my opinion) born of necessity of Phalanx combat. The knee would be a good bottom contact point for the Aspis. That said I googled "Greek Archer Vase" but the only greaves on archers I came across were Calvary Archers.

EDIT: What about a naval context?
Craig Bellofatto

8th and 7th century saw the rise of the phalanx. But there is simply no evidence for archers using shorter greaves. There are many reasons for this. Archers didn't need greaves,since they lacked much more vital armour and shield. They also couldn't afford them (even the shorter types where anatomically fitting to the lower leg). And finally,even the later type that covered avove the knee didn't impede the wearer to kneel. And finally,whatever archer depctions we have that do wear greaves,they are of the later kind that cover the knee. After all,we don't have examples of short greaves after the early 6th century.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Why would an archer need greaves?

They tend to be unarmoured so if they are drawn into melee confrontations protecting their lower leg is the least of their worries.
Stuart