Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Roman military maneuvers maniples (Manipulum)
Cacaius,

Thank you for your observations on the Ludus Militis Tactica! I will attempt to answer your questions as best I can:

Quote:I am not very sure if staying so close to words used in Strategikon is what would be most probable for 1st c AD .

The Ludus Militis team considered this issue closely. There is strong evidence that the Latin words in the Stratekigon were linguistic "fossils" preserved by rote and tradition, with some minor shifts over time, rather than a recent innovation or revival by Maurice or other 6th cent. sources. An updated edition of the Tactica is in the works, with more extensive evidence on this issue. Some of the Strategikon command words were clearly in use as "military jargon" in the 1st centuries BC — AD. I've already found more evidence for forms of "Ordinem Servate," "Depone," "Signum Sequute," in Latin works and will be looking at the other commands.

Quote:In example .. this word 'contus'. I understand that you have found some sources ... but I think we can find 10 times more sources that word 'pilum' was more common in use. Why not : Ad pilum, clina ?

It is clear that 'contus' was a multi-use word for spear or shafted weapon. It appears in several Latin sources from the Imperial period, as well as in contemporary accounts of the Roman army in Greek, where the equivalent word kontos is used. There is good evidence that all ranks of legionary century were not all armed uniformly with pila, but with some lighter shafted weapons for longer range throwing. A less used generic word for "spear" would be less confusing for a directional command.

Also, ad pila may have been an actual command to raise the pila or to prepare the heavy armed for close combat (look at how the phrase is used in Veg. I 20 and III 14). Using ad pila for directional commands as well as an arms command might have caused confusion in combat. We will likely use ad pila as an arms command in our combat tactics manual for this historically-based reason.

Quote:By the way. Why do you use word 'DEPONETE' ? ... its 3rd declination ... it should be rather 'DEPONITE'.

You are absolutely right, thanks for pointing this out! This was an error that crept in when we were strongly debating uses of plural and singular imperatives in the final drafts. Thank you for pointing this out, i will correct it and re-upload the document this week.

By the way, we also looked at conglobant agmen aut laxent in Vegetius but decided that he was referring to ranks that were too crowded together or spread out to loosely, not commands related to going from open interval to close interval.
Mark Graef
Clash of Iron
clashofiron.org
Staff Member, Ludus Militis
www.ludusmilitis.org
Well, never mind the PMs, lads, the Main Man is on board here in this discussion. Mark was/is the primary research analyst.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Uhh And John is A Contributing (I hope) staff member.
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Yes, indeed, John, you are/were, along with several others who were on staff and/or various sub committees. I wasn't trying to leave anybody out: I was just saying that Mark did some amazing, obscure research...heck, I'd never even heard of Asclepodotus before Mark used footnotes/references from some of his writings. There's probably six or seven other principal players not mentioned, just because it seemed better not to make it a personality issue. I was just the helmsman and flak drawer, sorta, not a real producer of much of importance.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Here is repost of the DRAFT wedge formation from another thread. It has not been reviewed in depth or adopted for the LM Tactica.
Also just how to execute the move from a column or line formation into a wedge is not addressed. (needs field experimentation I suspect)

Re: Question about the Roman 'wedge formation'

Postby jkaler48 » Mon 02 Aug 2010, 14:53
Here is a interpretation of the wedge formation at the Century level I did for Ludus Militis
Formation diagrams revised to work in RAT.

The Wedge formation of the Century and attached troops

Purpose:
The purpose of the wedge formation is to move the Century through enemy forces to reach an objective. This objective may be a camp, critical terrain, enemy command group, or even to open an escape route when surrounded.

History:
The wedge as a Legionary tactic is mentioned by Caesar: "caes.gal.6.40": [6.40] The camp-followers run forward to the nearest rising ground; being speedily driven from this they throw themselves among the standards and companies: they thus so much the more alarm the soldiers already affrighted. Some propose that, forming a wedge, they suddenly break through, since the camp was so near; and if any part should be surrounded and slain, they fully trust that at least the rest may be saved; others, that they take their stand on an eminence, and all undergo the same destiny. The veteran soldiers whom we stated to have set out together [with the others] under a standard, do not approve of this. Therefore encouraging each other, under the conduct of Caius Trebonius, a Roman knight, who had been appointed over them, they break through the midst of the enemy, and arrive in the camp safe to a man. The camp attendants and the horse following close upon them with the same impetuosity, are saved by the courage of the soldiers.

Julius Caesar. Gallic War (English) [ Caes. Gal. book 7 chapter 28 ]

They suddenly flew out from all quarters and quickly filled the walls. The enemy being alarmed by the suddenness of the attack, were dislodged from the wall and towers, and drew up, in form of a wedge, in the market place and the open streets, with this intention that, if an attack should be made on any side, they should fight with their line drawn up to receive it.

Livy. ab Urbe Condita [ Liv. book 2 chapter 50 ]

After a time they abandoned their plan of presenting a front on all sides; facing in one direction they formed themselves into a wedge and by the utmost exertion of sword and muscle forced a passage through. The road led up to gentle eminence, and here they halted.

5. Livy. ab Urbe Condita [ Liv. book 7 chapter 24 ]
Thus encouraged they made a fresh charge, dislodged the front companies of the Gauls, and closing up their maniples into a wedge penetrated the enemy's centre. Then the barbarians were broken up, and having no leadership or definite orders they turned the attack on to their own reserves.

Tacitus. Annales (English) [ Tac. Ann. book 14 chapter 37 ]

At first, the legion kept its position, clinging to the narrow defile as a defence; when they had exhausted their missiles, which they discharged with unerring aim on the closely approaching foe, they rushed out in a wedge-like column.

Execution:

Since the intent of the wedge is to move through the enemy pushing the enemy out of the way is more desirable than to cause casualties which may impede the advance by falling underfoot. In the sense of the individual soldier it is therefore a Defensive operation rather than an Offensive one and stopping to engage the enemy is prohibited while the wedge is still able to move forward. It is equally important that the formation stay close and compact and gaps not be allowed to form underway. The rear rank of the formation is an important part of the wedge as it is the most vulnerable to attack. Consequently the rear rank when reaching the front rank of the enemy formation will turn their scuta side to the rear and proceed stepping sideways in the direction of the wedge's travel. The Optio or other surviving second in command of the century will station himself center and directly behind the rear rank and supervise it's movement. If necessary he will cause the second to last rank to take hold of the right shoulder of the last rank and guide/pull them along with the formation. The centurion must be careful to adjust the speed of the wedge not to exceed the speed of the rear rank at this point.
Wounded soldiers unable to continue to fight will rotate to the interior of the formation. Those unable to continue in the advance will be assisted by those in the interior or
if mortally wounded or the situation requires will not be left behind to be captured alive by barbarian enemies.

Attached slingers and archers will be stationed inside and support the wedge formation as directed by the Centurion. If attached Light armed Legionary troops or Heavy Infantry Auxillia should be assigned to the rear rank. Light armed legionaries because they can move faster and Heavy Infantry Auxillia because they are armed with hasta and can stand off any pursuing enemy a little farther. Any attached cavalry not able to maneuver around the enemy formation to rejoin the Century should follow the wedge as closely as practical. Any attached Artillery unable to keep up with the formation should be disabled and the crews join the wedge formation.

Single Century Wedge Formation Positions:

Standard Wedge
--------------------C--------------------
-------------------MTM-------------------
------------------MMMMM------------------
-----------------MMMSMMM-----------------
----------------MMMMCMMMM----------------
---------------MMMMBBBMMMM---------------
--------------MMMMMMMMMMMMM--------------
-------------MMMMMMMOMMMMMMM-------------
------------MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM------------

C= Centurion M= Milites S = Signifier C = Cornicen B=Balistrii O = Optio T= Tessararius

Single Century Deliberate Wedge with attached troops
--------------------------C------------------------
------------------------MTM----------------------
----------------------MMMMM-------------------
--------------------MMMSMMM-----------------
------------------MMMMCMMMM----------------
----------------MMAMBBBMMAMM----------------
-------------MMAMMMMMMMAMM---------------
-----------MMAMMMMMMMMMAMM--------------
--------MMMMMMMMOMMMMMMMM-----------
--------XLXLXLXLXLXLXLXLXLXLXLLX ----------
--------------- H H H-----------------------
----------------H H H -----------------------

C= Centurion M= Milites S = Signifier C = Cornicen B=Balistrii O = Optio T= Tessararius A = Acher L = Light Armed Legionary X = Auxillia Heavy Infantry

Single Century Hasty Wedge executed from the column
------C-------
--- MTM------
--MMMMM----
MMMSMMM--
MMMCMMMM
MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM
MMMOMMMM
MMMMMMMM

C= Centurion M= Milites S = Signifier C = Cornicen B=Balistrii O = Optio T= Tessararius

Forming the Wedge from the line Formation:
Pending

Forming the Wedge from a column or march formation:
Pending

Command:
Hand and Arm Signal: Arms raised in a "V" with or without shield and Gladius/Pila as the tactical situation dictates
Standard: Signal for "Attention to orders" is given
Cornu: Call for Wedge is sounded Short Medium and Long notes Descending
Verbal command: Ad Cuneum is given by the Centurion and repeated by junior officers as needed

Follow on Formations:

Depending on the situation the Centurion will order an appropriate follow on formation which may be a retrograde fighting formation, a rally, or defensive formation at the objective.
Last edited by jkaler48 on Sat 07 Aug 2010, 14:43, edited 7 times in total.
Quote:Standard Wedge
--------------------C--------------------
-------------------MTM-------------------
------------------MMMMM------------------
-----------------MMMSMMM-----------------
----------------MMMMCMMMM----------------
---------------MMMMBBBMMMM---------------
--------------MMMMMMMMMMMMM--------------
-------------MMMMMMMOMMMMMMM-------------
------------MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM------------

Single Century Deliberate Wedge with attached troops
--------------------------C------------------------
------------------------MTM----------------------
----------------------MMMMM-------------------
--------------------MMMSMMM-----------------
------------------MMMMCMMMM----------------
----------------MMAMBBBMMAMM----------------
-------------MMAMMMMMMMAMM---------------
-----------MMAMMMMMMMMMAMM--------------
--------MMMMMMMMOMMMMMMMM-----------
--------XLXLXLXLXLXLXLXLXLXLXLLX ----------
--------------- H H H-----------------------
----------------H H H -----------------------

C= Centurion M= Milites S = Signifier C = Cornicen B=Balistrii O = Optio T= Tessararius A = Acher L = Light Armed Legionary X = Auxillia Heavy Infantry

Single Century Hasty Wedge executed from the column
------C-------
--- MTM------
--MMMMM----
MMMSMMM--
MMMCMMMM
MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM
MMMMMMMM
MMMOMMMM
MMMMMMMM

Do you really think the wedge would have looked like this? I know this is (especially the first) the way it is done in re-enactment, but to me it doesn't make that much sense to kill a experienced man (the centurio) on purpose.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Roman Centurions " Lead from the front " and contemporary records show a much higher casualty rates than ordinary soldiers. So it would be in keeping with what we know about Centurion's leadership techniques to have the Centurion at the point of the wedge. It is also likely many Centurions made it all the way to retirement never having to execute a wedge in battle as
it was probably a comparatively rare formation that one practiced but hopefully never had to use. The Centurion is also one of the best choices for the exposed position by virtue of his fighting experience, ability to pace the formation, bravery and better armor protection.
Yeah, I see what you mean, but I did mean it otherwise. Please let me to try to clarify my statement. When this is the way the wedge looked like (e.g. positions of people) then indeed it makes much sense to place the centurio there. I'm not wanting to argue on that, as I also believe the centurio is in the front line of batlle.

What I wanted to say is that a formation with a one-mans front rank doesn't make much sense to me. Be it either a centurio, general, ordinairy soldier or what ever else. You just gonna loose this man anyway. I think we should more think of the wedge on a legions level. That is the front 'rank' is a complete century, instead of a single man. Now the front can make more impact, is better supported, and better to hold position (which you gonna loose on first impact in the way described above, for sure). Now, you still have the benefits of a 'wedge' i.e. the front line (so the point of attach) is rather small as compared to the front rank of the opponent.

Hope this is clear.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I see your point. Smile Still the purpose of the wedge what ever the size of the force is to push through the enemy formation rather than run over it or push it back making the narrower the point of the wedge the easier to push it through. The diagrams represent ideal formations which would seldom hold up very long in a real battle and the wedge would usually more resemble a bulge after a few minutes of contact with a point of more than one man. This is one area of tactics that would be well served by some experimentation with two large enough reenactment forces.
(with non lethal weapons, good safety rules and several camera recording angles esp from above)
I remember reading recently in Osprey's Roman Battle Tactics that the "wedge" is far more likely a "pigs snout" (i.e. a much greater front line than 1 man!). I hope I have recalled that correctly.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:Robert wrote,
At the risk of using modernisms, I'd say that an order given needs to be short, sharp and easily understandable.

I agree, except that this principle is not exclusively modern. Asclepiodotus (XII 11) and Aelian (LII, LIII) noted this very thing.

Quote:Therefore, when looking at the Ludus set of commands (great research chaps, btw), I would hesitate to use both 'clina' and 'clinate'.
Thanks! The LM Tactica may drop clinate and a few other plural imperatives in the next edition. When we wrote the drill we felt that some command words needed the extra syllable both to be performed properly, especially while marching, as well as to differentiate them from similar stationary commands. This was based somewhat on experience from drill of other eras. However, we decided not to march in lockstep or call cadence, because we could find no direct evidence for this, and we used the open interval depth of 4 cubits or 6 Roman feet for most evolutions. We found that without the need to “execute” commands on a particular foot, that shorter and sharper commands worked better than longer and drawn out ones, and there was no need for an extra “te” at the end. Also, the context of commands seems to be enough to distinguish how to perform them differently, the milites “get it.” We may hold on to “Depone / Deponite” because they are used for several movements which are rather different.

Quote:Also, the Ludus Militis seems to favour the use of 'contum' and 'scutum' over the use of 'dextra' and 'sinitra', which are also use in the same souce (Maurikios) for a change of direction (in the commands depone ad dextra / depone ad sinistra). Not meaning to criticise, why was this choice made? In my own opinion (which is just that), if you have both words use, why not choose the more simple one?

We considered this issue carefully. The “depone” movement in battle would be used primarily for flanking, or for refusing a flank. In most cases this would involve several units of different types (i.e. light & heavy infantry, cavalry, mounted archers) making up a reserve line, each unit manevering individually to “set up” (the likely sense of “depone” in this use) or “change front” (the sense of the Greek “metathesis.”) We felt that dextra and sinistra in the Strategikon was for general directional commands, applicable for larger mixed formations; blocks of infantry are almost always combined or interspersed with cavalry according to the illustrations and descriptions therein. (Maurikios says cavalry directional commands to the left are “to the rein” rather than to the shield.)
Mark Graef
Clash of Iron
clashofiron.org
Staff Member, Ludus Militis
www.ludusmilitis.org
Salvete

Thank you Mark for ALL your answers.
Now I understand Your point of view.

However ....

Quote:By the way, we also looked at conglobant agmen aut laxent in Vegetius but decided that he was referring to ranks that were too crowded together or spread out to loosely, not commands related to going from open interval to close interval.

... for me its THE SAME.... is it just a word or command ? ... for me its THE SAME

Since we know "so much" about roman commands ...
Since we even dont know if there were any regulations with official words/commands for entire legion ... and even if they were ..
We still dont know if those regulations were written by current legion leaders or maybe by someone from Rome ... so each legion could have the same ....

What if not ?
How could two legions co-operate .. or simple milites could understand officers from another legion ?

For me the answer is easy .... THEY ALL KNEW LANGUAGE ! .. They all knew the most simple basic words.

So what I teach in my legion .. is just to understand simple latin.

I look for Vegetius, Caesar, Livius and others .. and when I find such words like : laxare, conglobare in descriptions ... when I see that those words were understandable in those times.... I use them. I shout in latin " hey guys mass together (milites! conglobate!) . And thats it.

When I want them to make spaces between ranks / files .. I shout "in agmina/ordinibus laxate" ... because it just means that in latin from the time we re-enact..

When I will find another word similar to 'conglobare' I will put it on my list as well !
Because my people knows that "ad dextram pergite / procedite / movete / vertite" in fact means the same .. because they just know meaning of every of those words. And I also use all of them. I dont give commands .. I just say in latin

In this case its so easy for us to co-operate when we meet another group with a bit different commands.

I cant teach them that "Deponite" means "turn as a wheel" .. because they all know this word. And in the camp I say many times .. "please deponite your gladii there" Smile (of course in proper latin)

I dont want to teach in this way that:
- "elephants are looking for fants" .. means .. "turn to the left"
and
- " little dogs are looking for logs " .. means .. "turn to the right"

Maybe I put this too colorized but I hope that you understand what I mean Smile )

Of course in this way list of commands/words in my group to learn is huge. But my people understand everything what I want to do with them Smile
I can say in latin :
- "third row .turn back and go for 3 steps" ..
- "count up to 5" ...
- "give me 5 pila"
- "go for firewood and put it there"
etc etc

I can ask in latin "where is Maximus / water / firewood / willow basket .. anything that is in the camp" and people know asnwers in latin like
- i dont know
- there
- here
- in the kitchen/ in a tent and other parts of the camp

They even understand this : "Scuta supra capita! Decem circuli circum milites CURRITE! " Smile (shields up over your heads ! Ten rounds around legionaires RUN !)
They have to understand this becausue this is most common command I shout ... I will always find even a small dot of rust on their armours Smile

Dont think that we are all experts in latin .. .we just try to learn basics .. we train a lot and its great fun !!!
Because for all people around (re-enactors from other groups and simple public) we are crazy ... Smile

On the other hand even we try to speak basic latin .. using correct word endings in different situations I agree with those who says that words spoken during the battle should be as simple as possible, and can be shortened.
So most of the time I even shout :

Testudo ! Facite ! (or formate ! .. it doesnt matter )
- instead of -
Testudinem facite
or Ad testudinem

Resuming...
I cannot be sure about military jargon from those times .. but I can be sure about simple words they used.
I hope that You understand my point of view.

Anyway I will keep looking on your work !!!

Cacaius
p.s. by the way in my opinion "ad testudinem" its not correct form. Are you sure that romans will say in this way ?
I was always teached that "Ad" means direction

- ad dextram perge - go on the right
- ad castrum/silvam pergite - go in direction where the camp/forest is .. BUT DO NOT GO INTO
- in castrum/silvam pergite - go in direction whre the camp/forest is ... and finish your trip INSIDE

The same is for things that dont work as buildings.

You will rather say : In disciplinam pergite .. go for trainings (and take a part of it)
instead of using "ad disciplinam pergite ... which means go to the training place ( stay around and look what is going there)

In this case "ad testudinem" means exactly ... go to the nearest ready made testudo and stay nearby Smile

As you see I even cannot copy this command from your list because my people knows the difference between words "in" and "ad" :wink:

But in fact ... instead of shouting "in testudinem" better just "testudo!" or "testudo! facite! " where this "facite' word is shortened to something like 'fct' .. milites expect this word, and dont care how I pronounce it.

Have a nice day Mark....
Cacaivs Rebivs Asellio
Legio XXI Rapax - http://www.legioxxirapax.com/
a.k.a Cesary Wyszinski
Quote:www.ludusmilitis.org
I get an error message, is the site online?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Web troubles, but we're hoping all will be solved in a day or so.
Sorry.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
But what kind of Latin?
There are no doubt many changes in the Latin used by 1st Century Legionary troops and that spoken in Middle ages churches to modern Latin. The common Latin evolved into several different
regional European Languages. Even English evolved so greatly over a much smaller time that earlier versions are hardly understandable by most people today. If I give commands in current English
to my 14th Century reenactors how close will it be?
As an example try reading this passage:
From The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer, 14th century:

Whan that Aprille with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
And bathed every veyne in swich licour,
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours yronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open yë
(So priketh hem Nature in hir corages);
Than longen folk to goon on pilgrimages

And that's only seven centuries back not twenty!