Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military History Magazines
Does anybody have a subscription to one of the current Military History magazines? Opinions, recommendations? <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I used to take Military illustrated and there were occassional articles on our period but less and less often. There is a prediliction for the 2nd world war and the difficulty they all have is that if you know anything about the subject the article teaches you to suck eggs. My view is brouse the shelves and buy when there is anything of interest. <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
Military History Quarterly has almost the same problem. Any articles on the pre-medieval time period are rare. They do have some research on some of the other "forgotten wars" and "battles" and the research is sometimes a little better.<br>
Yes, it would be nice to have a magazine like Civil War Times, or World War Two, or any of those dedicated to a time period, but the only one I found to be worth the money was "Napoleon Magazine" when the Emperor's Headquarters was publishing it. Even then they seemed to have problems getting articles and if they hadn't had "in house" advertisement money it would have crashed the first year.<br>
To have a good Ancient Period Warfare magazine, you will need dedicated advertisers, and dedicated writers, who are not going to run about putting a politically correct polish or the modern new age religious spin on whatever they do. It would be nice to get a non-professional journal together, with color photos and drawings and well-written and footnoted articles by "names' in the business, but even if everyone in R.A.T. subscribed, that would only be a print run of 600-1000 copies. Maybe a quarterly CD magazine would be cost effective?<br>
Osprey Books tried to reach the war-gamer, re-enactor, armchair historian market, but I understand their quarterly magazine is also giving up the struggle? They did have a not to bad article on pre-medieval warfare almost every issue, but not enough to make it worth subscribing to if that is your only interest.<br>
Just an opinion, not a condemnation. <p></p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Military Illustrated was great when Martin Windrow was the editor. (A Roman enthusiast who did a book on the subject and contacted me to do mine). It has gone downhill since then. If you know his work, the current editor is decidedly anti-Roman in is views.<br>
Dan <p></p><i></i>
Slingshot (from the Society af Ancients).<br>
I'm assuming that you already have this, if not, any particular reason why?<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Svend Erik <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Syvanne\'s \"Military History of Late Rome 284-361\" Nathan Ross 22 12,756 11-18-2015, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Virilis
  Journals on Roman military history Cornelius A 15 5,950 10-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Last Post: S. Marcer
  S.E.A.L.S = swiss online history and military .... Simplex 3 1,555 05-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat