Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revolt of the Iceni
Salve
Book 12 of Tacitus' 'Annals' mentions a revolt by the Iceni tribe in Brittannia during the time of the propraetor Publius Ostorius that was eventually crushed.
I wonder if this is the same famous rebellion by Boudicca that was defeated by Suetonius Paulinus. Any Input on this?

Imad
Cry \'\'\'\'Havoc\'\'\'\', and let slip the dogs of war
Imad
Yes, they are one in the same. The battle was the culminating event in the Roman victory. As an aside, you might want to read Imperial Governor a fictional novel written from Suetonius Paulinus's point of view.
Tiberius Nero / Joel DeLuca
Quote:Yes, they are one in the same.

Actually they are not - it is thought that the suppression of this revolt (in AD 47) led to a client king (Prasutagus) being imposed on the tribe (Frere 1987, 60-1 speculates that formerly he may have led one of the septs of the tribe) and when he dies his widow (Boudic©a) is the one who gets shirty.

*Frere, S.S. 1987: Britannia. A History of Roman Britain, ed.3, London

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Quote:
tiberiusnero:2eynjgff Wrote:Yes, they are one in the same.

Actually they are not - it is thought that the suppression of this revolt (in AD 47) led to a client king (Prasutagus) being imposed on the tribe (Frere 1987, 60-1 speculates that formerly he may have led one of the septs of the tribe) and when he dies his widow (Boudic©a) is the one who gets shirty.

*Frere, S.S. 1987: Britannia. A History of Roman Britain, ed.3, London

Mike Bishop

What he said.....which also give some background to the Boudiccan revolt i bet.
I'm sure it was easier to keep the tribe in check when the King was alive, and the Roman brutalising of Boudicca and kids was a poor attempt at forcing her to take a sterner line with dissent?

But thats just speculation! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I believe the earlier revolt of the Iceni may have had another cause, too, P. Ostorius Scapula ordering the disarming of the tribes, including those under client rulers and thus technically not under direct Roman control. Scapula was at the time trying to bring Caratacus to battle and end that unfinished business. I'm not certain if it was normal Roman practice to eventually disarm subject peoples. It seems that Scapula was worried that while fighting in the west of Britain, the tribes of the east might rise up behind him. It is what happened with the Boudiccan rebellion: Paulinus was assaulting Mona (Anglesey), when Boudicca's rebellion broke out in the east. Three legions were in the west, with only one in the east.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae