Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek/Macedonian ranks
From what I have read this is probably a loaded question.

I am looking to improve apon my churches Nativity story. The Herodian military was made to look like Romans with a really bad costume designer. I have done some research: Greece and Rome at War by Peter Connelly, and The Army of Herod the Great by Samuel Rocca. Both of these books say that the Herodian army was a mixture of Greek and Military ranks, arms, and armor. I am not able to make heads or tales of, its all greek to me!

What would be the terms for heavy and light infantry?

Where there multiple types of heavy and light infantry?

What would some of the arms and armor of these types?
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
You are looking post Hellenistic period.

The pikeman armed with helmet armor and pike would be heavy infantry and be called phallangites (Probably would have been extinct by then)
An infantryman armed with sword javelines helmet and scutum like shield would called thyreophoros (Quite common)
A thyreophoros with linen or chain mail would be called thorakites

As for the ranks a company would be called lochos and the captain lochagos

Kind regards
The armor that they would have worn, would have been the linothroax, chainmail, or something else?

The sword that they would have carried, would it be double sided or would it have been the falcata?

The helmet/helmets they would have worn, would it be the pylos, boeotian, or attic style?

The shield carried by the heavy infantry type, would it have been been the hoplon type?
Joshua B. Davis

Marius Agorius Donatus Minius Germanicus
Optio Centuriae
Legio VI FFC, Cohors Flavus
[url:vat9d7f9]http://legvi.tripod.com[/url]

"Do or do not do, their is no try!" Yoda
Quote:The armor that they would have worn, would have been the linothroax, chainmail, or something else?

The sword that they would have carried, would it be double sided or would it have been the falcata?

The helmet/helmets they would have worn, would it be the pylos, boeotian, or attic style?

The shield carried by the heavy infantry type, would it have been been the hoplon type?

Both types of armor are acceptable as they were known.
Phrygian-cap type helmets have appeared in the Gutmann collection
Middle eastern horsemen though had lamelar armor.
Both swords were in use at the period.

No "argive" shields (hoplite shileds) Rather the "thyreos" (like Gallic or Roman shields).

Kind regards
Is the linothorax still being used in the 1st AD? :\\
Stuart
Period art shows lots of various composite armors.
Their usage is being carried on to the Middle ages with the Byzantine "cambadion" or "pambukion"
probably being the being the verbal root for the gambeson.

Kind regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek and Macedonian Scabbard Suspension Apollyon 9 4,431 09-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Lýsandros